Old 10-08-2003, 11:02 AM
Deswinds

Default feeding question

Can someone tell me what to do? or how to go about encouraging my fish to
come to the surface to feed? Right now they wait for the "floating" pellets
to sink to the bottom before they'll eat.

I know, this is hardly a concern, generally, but my grandkids don't quite
understand why they won't come to the surface to eat like they've seen on
the tapes they saw. Is there a trick to teach them to come up? or is it just
they are too young. I've 4 goldfish (2" long) and 4 shubunkins (3-4" long).
They've been in my pond for maybe 2 weeks now.

Thanks,
carol

Old 10-08-2003, 11:02 AM
Rodney Pont

On Fri, 8 Aug 2003 11:44:27 -0700, Deswinds wrote:

Can someone tell me what to do? or how to go about encouraging my fish to
come to the surface to feed? Right now they wait for the "floating" pellets
to sink to the bottom before they'll eat.

I know, this is hardly a concern, generally, but my grandkids don't quite
understand why they won't come to the surface to eat like they've seen on
the tapes they saw. Is there a trick to teach them to come up? or is it just
they are too young. I've 4 goldfish (2" long) and 4 shubunkins (3-4" long).
They've been in my pond for maybe 2 weeks now.

I suspect you are overfeeding them. You should feed them 3 or 4 times a
day and only give them what they will eat in a couple of minutes. Don't
feed them for a couple of days, they won't starve. They only have a
small digestive system and only need a little at a time.

Also dangling your fingers in the pond will help them to get used to
you. Eventually they will come up whenever you go to the pond. Don't
give in and feed them every time, limit your feeding to 3 or 4 times
daily. You will also notice that they will eat more on a warm day than
on a cool day but still limit it to what they eat in a couple of
minutes, anything left after that time is too much.

There could also be another cause, they could be frightened by a
predator but if they are hungry they will eventually trust you.

Best of luck and let us know how you get on.

--
Regards - Rodney Pont
e-mail ngps07 (at) infohit (dot) fsnet (dot) co (dot) uk

Old 10-08-2003, 11:02 AM
Nedra

Hi Carol, After doing the fingers dangling ... just wait. It
has been only 2 weeks. Fish are timid creatures. They
will soon get used to you and your voice. I would tell
the grandkids to stand back away from the pond... and
talk very softly.... the fish will soon become acclimated and
come up to the top.

Good Luck!

Nedra

Old 10-08-2003, 11:02 AM
Simon Avery

"Deswinds" wrote:

Hello Deswinds

D Can someone tell me what to do? or how to go about
D encouraging my fish to come to the surface to feed? Right
D now they wait for the "floating" pellets to sink to the
D bottom before they'll eat.

Top feeders and bottom feeders.

D I know, this is hardly a concern, generally, but my
D grandkids don't quite understand why they won't come to the
D surface to eat like they've seen on the tapes they saw. Is
D there a trick to teach them to come up? or is it just they
D are too young. I've 4 goldfish (2" long) and 4 shubunkins
D (3-4" long). They've been in my pond for maybe 2 weeks now.

Top feeders then. Mine go into a feeding frenzy whenever I walk past -
they get to know. 2 weeks isn't a long time for goldfish to get used
to people or to feeding patterns, and if you don't have much cover for
them they'll be twitchy for much longer.

Stick to roughly the same time, DON'T OVERFEED! If there's any food
left over after five minutes then you fed them too much. Don't feed
more than 2-3 times a day. Fish will usually survive indefinately
without food from you (depending on stocking rates, size of pond,
sources of natural food etc) and the most common problem with new
fishowners is overfeeding.

For the kids, might be an idea to give each a single pellet at a time
- holds their interest longer without giving too much feed.

Old 11-08-2003, 04:04 PM
BB

Mine took a while to come to the surface, but now they come *running*
whenever I am near the pond.
The strangest part is, they flock to the edge of the pond nearest the lawn
mower when I mow the grass.
Must be the vibrations, I have never fed them in conjunction with mowing the
lawn.

Bill

Old 13-08-2003, 06:03 AM
Don Cunningham

I had this problem this year also. We've had the pond for 10 years and
always before the fish were at the feeding spot before we were. Last year we
had a fish kill and have all new fish this year. No one of them who knows
the drill to lead the way.
So I bought a Hula Hoop and floated it on the water tied in place. I feed
them within the hoop only. Since Koi are bottom feeders naturally and
goldfish somewhat they didn't know about floating food. So I took some
goldfish flake food and sprinkled it in the hoop. Some would sink at once
and some would float. They ate what was below first, but came higher and
higher each day. Then I combined the flake with some floating pellets. It's
been four months and they are just begining to be comfortable about eating
on top.

don cunningham

Old 13-08-2003, 07:22 PM
Heather

I had this problem in the spring. My overwintered fish had forgotten to
come for food and totally ignored my offerings.

I went to the pet store and purchased some young feeder fish who I presumed
were accustomed to being fed on the surface.

Only took a day and the overwintered fish caught on that the new guys were
getting something up there. Now they all follow us around like little puppy
dogs. Cute.

Heather
SW Ontario (Zone 5)

Old 15-08-2003, 03:14 AM
Jerrispond

I know, this is hardly a concern, generally, but my grandkids don't quite
understand why they won't come to the surface to eat like they've seen on
the tapes they saw. Is there a trick to teach them to come up?They've been in

my pond for maybe 2 weeks now.

Keep the grands still and quite, and they will come up to eat in a week or so.
They are just frightened now.....My grandson has been using my goldfish ponds
for a wading pond for years, he and the fish get along great, and when he
stands still they come up and nibble on his legs....but they gotta have you sit
or stand still for a few weeks first. Jerri