Old 12-08-2003, 01:37 AM
Nicole Thompson

Default Goldfish fry question - pond

The last couple weeks, I've noticed a few goldfish fry in my pond.
(and I did a happy dance I might add) :-)
I'm quite surprised b/c this is my first attempt at a pond.
(See "story" below if interested.)

However, I'm wondering if the older goldfish would eat them......
Everything I've found on-line says they'll definitely eat the eggs, but will
they eat the baby fish once they've hatched?

Thanks,
Nicole
--
Life is too important to be taken seriously. - Oscar Wilde
There is nothing like a dream to create the future. - Victor Hugo

How I got my pond: We purchased a home in December and the previous owner
made an elevated "pond" out of cinderblocks - he only had a statuary
fountain in it. Well, when we first looked at the house, there was ONE
lonely goldfish in there - and no vegetation. After closing on the house and
waiting for spring to see if it survived (which it did), we decided to add
some "friends". The water immediately got cloudy and we feared we'd made a
HUGE mistake. Well, after reading extensively on-line (as well as other
sources), we made our own biofilter, calculated the pond holds roughly 550
gallons and purchased a 700 gph pump w/fountain, added plants, and tested
the water (which we were thinking of draining and starting over - SO glad we
read up first b/c the water was just fine - other than the algae cycle
making it cloudy). Soooo, to make a very long story short, I'm elated that
my goldfish are so happy in their revamped accommodations that they've
actually had some babies! (We added 4 more fish to the original and he/she -
haven't figured out which is which yet - was very happy to have "friends".)
But I'm concerned b/c it seems there are a few fry I haven't seen in
awhile - perhaps they're hiding?

Old 15-08-2003, 03:32 AM
Jerrispond

Everything I've found on-line says they'll definitely eat the eggs, but will
they eat the baby fish once they've hatched?

There are a bunch of things that eat babies....but most of the time the babies
will come out on top.....I have on average 3 koi and 20 or so goldfish that
make it to the following summer. The largest preditor in my ponds for babies
are frogs. Herons come in every so often and take the adult fish. Jerri

Old 16-08-2003, 05:02 PM
Nicole Thompson

We put up a series of electric strips b/c of a duck invasion earlier in the
spring. It was quite cute at first - until she started ripping out/stepping
on my plants! Then I did some reading on-line and realized it would be good
for keeping cats and raccoons, etc. out too. Haven't seen any frogs
though...... And the electrified "fence" won't keep out birds of prey
either, but I modified a Rubbermaid container into a "cave" to give the fish
a "fighting chance" anyway.

Thanks for the info!
Nicole
--

"Jerrispond" wrote in message
Everything I've found on-line says they'll definitely eat the eggs, but

will
they eat the baby fish once they've hatched?

There are a bunch of things that eat babies....but most of the time the

babies
will come out on top.....I have on average 3 koi and 20 or so goldfish

that
make it to the following summer. The largest preditor in my ponds for

babies
are frogs. Herons come in every so often and take the adult fish.

Jerri

Goldfish Fry KerplunKuK Ponds (alternative) 2 23-07-2005 12:14 PM
Goldfish fry KerplunKuK Ponds 9 12-07-2005 03:32 PM
goldfish fry overwinter Skippy Ponds 3 21-09-2003 11:05 PM
Goldfish fry question - pond Nicole Thompson Ponds 6 16-08-2003 05:02 PM
Goldfish fry question - pond Nicole Thompson Ponds 0 12-08-2003 01:42 AM