Old 12-08-2003, 11:21 PM
abartoo

Default potash

Can any one help me with an inquery on potash. I've read alot about people
using this in their ponds. What are the benefits of using this, and for
what types of plants. And also where can you buy potash. Thanks. Andy

Old 13-08-2003, 03:02 PM
BenignVanilla

"abartoo" wrote in message
Can any one help me with an inquery on potash. I've read alot about

people
using this in their ponds. What are the benefits of using this, and for
what types of plants. And also where can you buy potash. Thanks. Andy

Andy it took me eons to find Potash. Only one garden store in my area had
some. Everyone else wanted to order it. I did find out that the potassium
chloride you can get a water softener store is the same chemical, so that
may be a last ditch place for you.

My plants were beginning to yellow around the edges, especially my water
lettuce. I added about 1 tsp per 1000 gallons to my pond. I actually
probably put a bit more then that, but that is a good rule of thumb. From
what I have been told it's hard to overdose on potash.

In just one dose my plants have started greening up. I am ready to dose
again.

BV.

Old 14-08-2003, 12:42 AM
Gregory Young

Generally, you dose every 2 weeks for 3 doses early each season, and then as
needed. Others recommend adding Epsom salts, iron, etc, but I have only had
to add potash. (Also Iron can cause algal blooms, and since its dose varies
by area water, you can easily add excessive Iron, and have to then deal with
algal issues. Potash and Epsom salts have no algal issues associated with
them.
The often recommended dose is one ounce per thousand gallons, which when
weighed out amounts to about 0.5 tablespoons.
I get mine from a local nursery (actually several in our area carry it). It
is in the fertilizer section, and a 5 pound box is inexpensive and will last
quite a while.
KCl for water softeners is even cheaper, but you have a much larger amount
to store..
In the nurseries, you will find It is as muriate of potash, 0-0-60
Happy ponding,
Greg

Old 15-08-2003, 12:44 AM
Jerrispond

Can any one help me with an inquery on potash. I've read alot aboutpeople
using this in their ponds. What are the benefits of using this, and for

what types of plants. And also where can you buy potash.

When you look at a bag of fertilizer there are 3 numbers on it like 10-10-10
The easiest way to describe it is ....the first number is for plants
leaves....the second number is for the blossoms or fruits.....the third number
is potash or potassium. It is for the root system, and the vigor and health
of the plants. When added to a pond at 1 tablespoon per 1000 gallons it will
green all up, and make them grow really fast....thus it starves out algea and
the algea in the pond dies because the good plants ( especially floaters like
lettuce and hyacinth) are growing so fast. I buy it at the nursery it is
located with the specialty fertilizers. I hope this helps you Jerri

Potash Hal Ponds 5 08-07-2003 04:32 AM
AlgaeFix and Muriate of Potash Justin Ponds 5 04-07-2003 06:43 AM
Muriate of Potash Joan Pomatto Ponds 29 06-06-2003 05:20 AM
THE OLD "POTASH" QUESTION MISSYMAGICGIRL Ponds 1 27-05-2003 03:08 PM
Muriate of Potash Brian Dugas Freshwater Aquaria Plants 4 20-04-2003 06:20 AM