Old 17-08-2003, 09:12 PM
Pet

Default Koi Question

Hi.
I am in the process of purchasing a new house which has a large pond
with about 10 Koi (about 10+ inches long) I believe there is a Tench in
there too.

We have accepted the offer of keeping tha fish and "adopting" them from
the vendors, except, I am not aware of any "Koi Keeping" details.

A brief resume of what's needed how often and how much would be
interesting. I'm sure the owners will enlighten me closer to the time
but in the meantime, any tips?

Cheers
Pete

Old 18-08-2003, 12:42 PM
Pet

Ghislain wrote:
where are you located I,m from Ontario Canada

U.K.
Bit of a long stroll.
:¬)

Old 18-08-2003, 03:03 PM
Rodney Pont

On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 20:15:40 GMT, Pet wrote:

Hi.
I am in the process of purchasing a new house which has a large pond
with about 10 Koi (about 10+ inches long) I believe there is a Tench in
there too.

We have accepted the offer of keeping tha fish and "adopting" them from
the vendors, except, I am not aware of any "Koi Keeping" details.

A brief resume of what's needed how often and how much would be
interesting. I'm sure the owners will enlighten me closer to the time
but in the meantime, any tips?

Things to get answers for a
how often and how much do they feed
how often they clean the filters
do the plants overwinter (many floaters don't overwinter in the UK and
need to be removed)

You could buy Practical Fishkeeping. They do cover ponds and have lots
of information. If you have specific questions you are welcome to email
me.

--
Regards - Rodney Pont
e-mail ngps07 (at) infohit (dot) fsnet (dot) co (dot) uk

Old 18-08-2003, 05:02 PM
Pet

Rodney Pont wrote:

Things to get answers for a
how often and how much do they feed
how often they clean the filters
do the plants overwinter (many floaters don't overwinter in the UK and
need to be removed)

Will do, good thinking.

You could buy Practical Fishkeeping. They do cover ponds and have lots
of information. If you have specific questions you are welcome to email
me.

Cool. Thanks Rodney.
I've actually found quite a few aquaintances also keep and show Koi, so
have plenty of un-tapped resources.

Also been pointed to http://www.koimag.co.uk/
which has quite a few usefull bits in their FAQ.

Cheers
Pete

Old 18-08-2003, 07:13 PM
Ghislain

Koi fish are nice,but can get the water dirty.When the bottom of the pond is
dirty.Try to clean it every second year and you will be on top of
maintenance.With water plants and clean filter weekly.You will enjoy
them.Reason I asked for your location is because you may need to winterize
the system
PS:Even Buffalo New York is a bit of a long stroll for me and that is 30
mile away.
Send me pictures of the pond to my e-mail
Ghislain and Linda