Old 24-08-2003, 11:22 PM
mary jo lettieri

Default protecting lilies from koi?

I had lilies in my pond and the koi destroyed them. I want to put some more
in. Is there anyway to protect them this time so the koi don't destroy them
again?

Old 25-08-2003, 01:02 AM
Gregory Young

I plant mine in pea gravel, and cover with 2 inch river rock.
Koi are drawn to the scent of dirt and root around in it.
If there is no dirt there is less desire to root around.
Larger koi may still trim the stems a bit, but mine have stopped doing that
after my switch to soiless potting medium.
Just be sure to fertilize monthly and you'll still get blooms.
There are nets, barriers, etc you can purchase, but in my mind they are more
bother than they are worth.
Happy ponding,
Greg

--