Old 28-08-2003, 02:32 AM
Jeanne

Default Bronze color

Hi Guys.....

Anyone know how to eliminate the slight bronze color to an otherwise very
clear pond? Water quality is fine with the single exception of hardness
which is off the scale. Fish are doing fine. I have some koi clay on order
which I hope might help....

Thanks for any suggestion.....
Cheers,
Bruce

Old 30-08-2003, 09:32 PM
Chagoi

Jeanne wrote:

Hi Guys.....

Anyone know how to eliminate the slight bronze color to an otherwise very
clear pond? Water quality is fine with the single exception of hardness
which is off the scale. Fish are doing fine. I have some koi clay on order
which I hope might help....

Thanks for any suggestion.....
Cheers,
Bruce

Hi Bruce

the addition of koiclay or terrapond (both Calcium Montmorillonite clay)
should HELP
clear up your colored water. It may not totally, but it should improve it.

I put a few newly potted cattails in my 600 gal pond (temporary, been
too wet to dig
new 13,000 gal), their pots fell over in a storm and released a lot of
clay into the pond.
I mixed a batch of Terrapond @ 2X the recommended dosage and in just 6
hours it
started to clear up enough that I could see about 2-3" into the pond.

The next day I dosed the pond again, the third day the pond was clear
except for a
slight "bronze color" I stirred up the bottom several times and let the
"Vortex"
part of the filter settle out the clay. Then emptied the silt out of the
vortex.
I waited a week (with "bronze water" and then used the normal dosage, my
water
has been "Gin Clear" (ref. ponder BV)

(the extra dosage will not hurt, I have started to take a teaspoon of
the clay
2X a week my self mixed in a glass of chocolate milk) My fish like it,
I mix a
maintainance dose 1/2 teaspoon in a cup of pond water as a treat once
every week or two.

Check out the explainations under "HOW IT WORKS" on the following pages:

http://www.pondpetsusa.com/koiclay.htm (very basic explaination)

http://www.pondpetsusa.com/terrapond.htm (more detailed explaination)

Chagoi

Old 01-09-2003, 10:02 PM
IAN GARDNER

"Chagoi" wrote in message
Jeanne wrote:

[...]

This will work but you also need to eliminate the cause. The cause should be
alot of leaves falling in the water and decaying and staining the water.
This will also make the water a bit acidic and have a low oxyegen content.

--
IAN. P. GARDNER
ISLE OF WIGHT

Old 02-09-2003, 04:22 AM
Bruce

Thanks Ian...
You are right about the leaves - oaks everywhere around the pond. Didn't
know leaves caused the color. Not sure how I could prevent it. Maybe I
will just have to live with it. I hoe out once a year. Don't know that a
bottom clean more often is practical. But I will think about that one.....

Old 02-09-2003, 08:02 AM
Karen Mullen

In article ,
"Bruce" writes:

Not sure how I could prevent it. Maybe I
will just have to live with it. I hoe out once a year. Don't know that a
bottom clean more often is practical. But I will think about that one.....

when the leaves start to fall, net the pond with fruit tree netting to keep
them out. I have a large oak in the neighbors yard that drops leaves and the
netting keeps most of them out. Otherwise you have oak tea and a really stinky
bottom. I know, I wasn't here last fall to net the pond and what a mess I
had/have this year. Never again.

Karen
Zone 5
Ashland, OH
http://hometown.aol.com/kmam1/MyPond/MyPond.html
My Art Studio at
http://members.aol.com/kmmstudios/K....M.Studios.html
for email remove the extra extention

Old 05-09-2003, 07:04 PM
IAN GARDNER

"Bruce" wrote in message

Thanks Ian...
You are right about the leaves - oaks everywhere around the pond. Didn't
know leaves caused the color. Not sure how I could prevent it. Maybe I
will just have to live with it. I hoe out once a year. Don't know that a
bottom clean more often is practical. But I will think about that

one.....

My pond is dug right under an Oak tree! It`s the only place I could put it!
Oak leaves do stain the water. A net will stop it but it looks ugly.

--
IAN. P. GARDNER
ISLE OF WIGHT