Old 02-09-2003, 01:22 PM
John Burton

Default Water Hyacinth/Lettuce .. In the BioFalls??

So ...

Better to put Water Hyacinth or Water Lettuce in the BioFalls or in the pond
itself?

Since it's so late in the season I had a bear of a time finding even Water
Lettuce, but found five plants that look healthy. I've put them into the
BioFalls for the time being (keeps them out of the skimmer), but would
things work better in the pond?

Naturally, I'd have to go buy or build that hulahoop to keep 'em in..

Ideas?

--
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=

john burton
Bach 50B3
Bass Trombone, Charleston NeoPhonic Orchestra
South Charleston, West Virginia

Old 02-09-2003, 04:32 PM
Jerrispond

Better to put Water Hyacinth or Water Lettuce in the BioFalls or in the pond
itself?

DO you have goldfish or koi....for koi I would keep them out of the main pond
until they multiply more....they koi will eat the roots of both lettuce and
hyacinth and stunt or kill the plants. Goldfish don't seem to bother them so
I put them right into the goldfish pond. Hyacinth like full sun best, and
lettuce likes some afternoon shade ( anyway here in the deep south) Jerri

Old 02-09-2003, 10:42 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

I have WH in my pre-filter where it grows to a giant size vertically. In
the pond it doesn't do as well, lighter green and the koi pick on the
roots. ~ jan

On Tue, 2 Sep 2003 07:56:45 -0400, "John Burton"
wrote:

So ...

Better to put Water Hyacinth or Water Lettuce in the BioFalls or in the pond
itself?

Since it's so late in the season I had a bear of a time finding even Water
Lettuce, but found five plants that look healthy. I've put them into the
BioFalls for the time being (keeps them out of the skimmer), but would
things work better in the pond?

Naturally, I'd have to go buy or build that hulahoop to keep 'em in..

Ideas?

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 02-09-2003, 11:14 PM
UTVOLVET84

I put hyacinths in the biofall last year. They multiplied so fast that they
blocked the water flow and the biofall overflowed around the edges.
Donna