Old 18-09-2003, 12:42 AM
A Davis

Default Pond depth

Hello All

My pond is 5 feet in diameter, with a maximum depth of 22 inches.
This seemed to be the sort of size indicated on my pond liner instructions.

However, I recently read that a pond of depth less than 3 feet is
insufficient for fish to survive the Winter when the Pond freezes.

The pond was created this year, it contains 6 goldfish.
Please could anyone advise?

Regards Al.

Old 18-09-2003, 05:42 PM
A Davis

Gregory Young wrote:-
What zone/location are you in

Somerset, England.

Regards Al

Old 18-09-2003, 08:32 PM
diamond

"A Davis" wrote in message
Gregory Young wrote:-
What zone/location are you in

Somerset, England.

Regards Al

Should be ok, we don't usually get harsh winters down here.

I'm in Somerset too!

Old 19-09-2003, 11:23 PM
A Davis

diamond wrote:-
Should be ok I'm in Somerset too!
I've recently moved to Bridgwater.

Yes, hopefully the fish will survive, but I had considered covering the Pond
when it's frosty.
Perhaps this would be unnecessary.

Regards Al.

Old 25-04-2011, 06:49 PM
Registered User

I know you can't change the depth of pond as its build a year ago. But You can do one thing, you can plant some plants which can give worming in your pond to fishes.
Pond Kits

Mewbie question on pond depth Pat Ponds (moderated) 7 10-06-2008 01:44 PM
Pond Depth in LA? Carl Beyer Ponds 3 28-05-2004 04:05 AM
Wife worried about depth of pond and little grandkids and neighbor kids falling in Chumley Ponds 20 31-01-2004 05:03 AM
Wife worried about depth of pond and grandkids falling in Chumley Ponds (alternative) 7 31-01-2004 02:41 AM
Wife worried about depth of pond and grandkids falling in D Kat Gardening 8 31-01-2004 02:32 AM