Old 18-09-2003, 04:32 AM
Scrapster1

Default Wintering my small pond(first year)

Hi, I live in Ontario, Canada and it can get cold here in the winter, -20.
I have a small pond around 200 gal, 24 inches deep. I have some goldfish and
plants (hardy lily, pickeral rush, hyacinth, water iris). At what
temperature should I begin to bring the fish in. As for the plants, which
will survive outdoors and which should I bring indoors. As for the pond
itself, how would I prepare it? Thanks.

Old 18-09-2003, 08:02 PM
Iain Miller

"Scrapster1" wrote in message
.. .
Hi, I live in Ontario, Canada and it can get cold here in the winter, -20.
I have a small pond around 200 gal, 24 inches deep. I have some goldfish

and
plants (hardy lily, pickeral rush, hyacinth, water iris). At what
temperature should I begin to bring the fish in. As for the plants, which
will survive outdoors and which should I bring indoors. As for the pond
itself, how would I prepare it? Thanks.

If you are going to bring the fish in for the winter then make sure you do
it before the water temp falls below about 55 - that's when they start to
"shut down" & it would be more stressful to move them after that.

Dunno about the plants

I.

Old 20-09-2003, 04:15 AM
Don Falconer

I live in Whitby. Approx 200 gal pond and about 28 in. deep except for plant
shelves. This will be my second winter. I set the plants (pickeral rush,
hyacinth) on the bottom. Left my two Koi in the pond. Set a pot on the
bottom on its side for additional shelter for them. I used an air tube with
open end set about 8 in. below the surface as a bubbler. It bubbled all
winter. Even when ice covered it bubbled up and out the edge of the pond.
The fish and plants all survived fine. Last winter was unusually cold and a
good test I think so I plan to do same this year.
Don

Old 20-09-2003, 07:32 AM
dkat

Curious.. why is that? I would think that if they were "shut down" that it
would be akin to being on tranqs... that is less reactive and less stressed.
DKat

Old 20-09-2003, 03:32 PM
Ian

Your Hyacinth survived? I thought they were tropicals?

I'm out in Brampton, 750 gallons give or take, depth only 24". I dropped my
pickerel, hardy lilies, and a few others to the bottom of the pond for the
winter, all survived fine. The Cardinal plants were buried in the garden bed
and mulched, they never came back. All my hyacinth get mulched as I thought
they don't survive our winters.

I used one of the 100 watt de-icers, did the job last year.

ble.rogers.com...

Old 22-09-2003, 03:02 PM
Jerrispond

Right you are. Hyacinth would not/did not survive

I heard of someone in zone 6 who overwintered hyacinth by dropping them to 3
feet so I am gonna try that this year....will give report next spring
Jerri

Old 23-09-2003, 01:35 AM
Nick Wilson

Can you actually drop the hyacinth in though to bury them for next year or
should they be taken indoors? I have quite a few that purchased, and quite a
few more left from growing over this past summer - it would certainly be a
shame to see them die off and not recover. I see by reading that a fellow
overturned a pot and set the plants inside it -- seems to be a good idea.

--

Nick Wilson

news

Old 29-09-2003, 03:02 PM
John Burton

While we're asking for inputs on wintering, what about this?

Should I turn OFF my waterfall at some point?

3000gal pond with 8 comets and 1 koi. Deepest point is approx 2feet. I'm a
zone 6a or 6b (???)....

Input?

--
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=

john burton
Bach 50B3
Bass Trombone, Charleston NeoPhonic Orchestra
South Charleston, West Virginia

Old 29-09-2003, 04:42 PM
Bonnie

John Burton wrote:
While we're asking for inputs on wintering, what about this?

Should I turn OFF my waterfall at some point?

3000gal pond with 8 comets and 1 koi. Deepest point is approx 2feet. I'm a
zone 6a or 6b (???)....

Input?

I suggest you turn off the waterfall. If ice develops the
water can be diverted out of the pond and you could loose a
substantial amount of water before you'd realize anything
had happened.
Use a air pump with airstone hung 3-4" below the water
surface to maintain an opening in the ice. This will allow
any gases to escape.

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old 04-10-2003, 09:02 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Yes. When your pond's temp falls into the 40s it's time to stop the
waterfall. It just cools the water faster and keeps it cool. Whereas with
slow circulation or an air stone the ground with keep your pond warmer.
Cover it and it will often remain ice free. ~ jan

On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 08:41:52 -0400, "John Burton" wrote:

While we're asking for inputs on wintering, what about this?

Should I turn OFF my waterfall at some point?

3000gal pond with 8 comets and 1 koi. Deepest point is approx 2feet. I'm a
zone 6a or 6b (???)....

Input?

http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Defrosted~
Tri-Cities, WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 08-10-2003, 01:42 AM
Tom Shea

for what it might be worth:

I'm in billerica MA, about 25 miles from NH border...always been fine for
leaving my koi outside with a small waterfall return from the shallow end,
along with an airstone.... never brought my koi inside (6 years).... this last
winter soooooo bad, for sooo long that everything froze, right to the bottom
(24 inches) except in one small 36 inch pocket, but this was way too small for
6 12 inch koi and no upper outlet for gas exchange. I bought a pond
heater.... and thawed my way thru with buckets of hot water trickled onto the
ice.. placed the pond heater in, and it kept an open hole and only cost about
$25 a month during temps of 10-20 deg farenheight every koi made it... very
pleased... much happier leaving the koi outside if possible...yeah, they grow
more slowly, but the joy of seeing them moving for the first time out there
during the first thaw is better than the first flowers coming up...

T.

Old 15-10-2003, 04:02 AM
Gale Pearce

Sorry I never caught your question sooner - I am in SW Ont (35 mi from
Windsor/ Detroit) - 24" deep is ok in my area for leaving fish in pond -
mine is 17" in shallow end and 26" in deep end, although a bit larger ~ 1000
US gals - my water iris sits on a shallow shelf - 6" of water and freezes
solid every year - no problem, always comes back (10 yrs) my hardy lilies
stay in the shallow end and don't freeze - I never get more than 6" - 7" of
ice - the water hyancinths (floating type - is there any other?) I have
always disposed of - never heard you could leave them in the pond as is
mentioned farther down in this thread, but worth a try - don't know anything
about pickerel rush
If you leave your fish outdoors, be sure to run an airstone, or heater (I
prefer the airstone as it is much easier on hydro)
Gale :~)

Old 26-10-2003, 04:42 PM
bjt

Can you talk about heater / airstone alternatives? I live in New England,
have a 4 foot deep pond and have always battled ice. I'm tempted to get one
or more of the floating heaters but would like to benefit from the group's
experience. Thanks.

Brian Tarbox