GardenBanter.co.uk

-   Ponds (alternative) (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds-alternative/)
-   -   Wintering (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds-alternative/43502-wintering.html)

Lily55320 19-09-2003 08:22 PM

Wintering

My small garden pond is new this year. I have a few inexpensive goldfish, lots
of Water Hyacinth, and a Water Lily. Would building a coldframe to cover it be
enough to prevent significant loss? Or will it be neceessary to move plants
and fish inside for the winter? Thanks much.

Jerrispond 20-09-2003 01:42 PM

Wintering

My small garden pond is new this year. I have a few inexpensive

goldfish,lots
of Water Hyacinth, and a Water Lily. Would building a coldframe to cover it
beenough to prevent significant loss? Or will it be neceessary to move

plants
and fish inside for the winter? Thanks much.

How big is the pond? Jerri

Simon Avery 21-09-2003 12:43 AM

Wintering

(Lily55320) wrote:

Hello Lily55320

L My small garden pond is new this year. I have a few
L inexpensive goldfish, lots of Water Hyacinth, and a Water
L Lily. Would building a coldframe to cover it be enough to
L prevent significant loss? Or will it be neceessary to move
L plants and fish inside for the winter? Thanks much.

I don't think the hyacinth will make it, they're tropical. Mine died
even when brought into the house last year. (I think I'm thinking of
the right ones, globular floaters?)

Lilies Ok provided the basket is below the ice - drop it down to the
lowest if it's not already come the start of winter, same for the fish
- as long as you can keep an airhole open.

--
Simon Avery, Dartmoor, UK Ý
http://www.digdilem.org/

A Davis 22-09-2003 10:34 PM

Wintering

Simon Avery wrote (Lily55320) wrote:
Lilies Ok provided the basket is below the ice
Does the same apply to oxygenating plants, etc?
I placed mine on the marginal shelf, which is less than a foot deep.

Regards Al.