Old 11-11-2003, 11:42 PM
Pam Gibbs

Default Pond liner: old fiberglass boat hull?

I have been reading studying about ponds for a year now and plan to build
one in the spring. I had planned to use a flexible liner. However, my son
has come up with an intriguing idea and asked me to think about using an old
fiberglass ski boat that has been in our barn for years. He proposes to
sink about two thirds of it into the ground at the bow, while the stern
would be just above ground level. He has all sorts of interesting ideas
about where to put filters and such and his enthusiasm for the project is
infectious. Before he starts digging that hole I would like to hear from
you all. Pros and cons, advice, is it even feasible, what things might have
to be taken into account that would not necessarily be considerations if I
use flexible liner, what NOT to do, etc.

Thank you!

Old 07-12-2003, 12:12 PM
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

It should be easy to make watertight and to plumb. If worst comes to worst,
you can either lift it or line it. You can also cut off whatever sticks up
where you do not want it. Could be a litle hard to clean out and will have
unique circulation. Do you live where the ground freezes? How far down?
Will it buckle the boat? Sounds like fun to work with and a bit of a hassle
to dig.

Jim

news

Old 14-01-2004, 09:02 AM
Brian

Hi Pam
Some finish coatings on fibreglass can be harmful to fish. Ponds built in fibreglass have a special gellcoat finish. You could always put a liner inside the boat. Make sure the preacher of water inside the boat won't break it first.
Before you put spade to soil do a lot of reading it can save a lot of money in the long run.
Checkout our website it will give you links to other sites which might be of help. www.gaedenpondclub.co.uk

--
Bye for now,
Brian.
"Pam Gibbs" netdoor.com@gpakt wrote in message news I have been reading studying about ponds for a year now and plan to build
one in the spring. I had planned to use a flexible liner. However, my son
has come up with an intriguing idea and asked me to think about using an old
fiberglass ski boat that has been in our barn for years. He proposes to
sink about two thirds of it into the ground at the bow, while the stern
would be just above ground level. He has all sorts of interesting ideas
about where to put filters and such and his enthusiasm for the project is
infectious. Before he starts digging that hole I would like to hear from
you all. Pros and cons, advice, is it even feasible, what things might have
to be taken into account that would not necessarily be considerations if I
use flexible liner, what NOT to do, etc.

Thank you!

---

Pond Liner Material Identification - What Pond Liner to Choose FLP Ponds (alternative) 0 10-02-2010 09:35 AM
Old Fiberglass Spa - New Pond? BB Ponds (moderated) 14 11-09-2007 09:51 PM
Pond Liner vs. Roof Liner BenignVanilla Ponds 8 15-11-2006 06:09 PM
Fiberglass pond w/ window Koi-Lo Ponds 10 03-03-2006 01:19 PM
Pond liner: old fiberglass boat hull? Simon Avery Ponds (alternative) 0 12-11-2003 04:32 PM