Old 12-11-2003, 05:32 PM
Simon Avery

Default Pond liner: old fiberglass boat hull?

"Pam Gibbs" netdoor.com@gpakt wrote:

Hello Pam

PG I have been reading studying about ponds for a year now and
PG plan to build one in the spring. I had planned to use a
PG flexible liner. However, my son has come up with an
PG intriguing idea and asked me to think about using an
PG old fiberglass ski boat that has been in our barn for years.
PG He proposes to sink about two thirds of it into the ground
PG at the bow, while the stern would be just above ground
PG level. He has all sorts of interesting ideas about where to
PG put filters and such and his enthusiasm for the project
PG is infectious. Before he starts digging that hole I would
PG like to hear from you all. Pros and cons, advice, is it
PG even feasible, what things might have to be taken into
PG account that would not necessarily be considerations if
PG I use flexible liner, what NOT to do, etc.

It's a good idea!

Sometimes with boat hulls the wooden reinforcements will rot and this
may cause a weakness, but pretty much all of them are strong enough
anyway.

Yon hull will need good reinforcement, but less than any other liner
since it's structurally strong.

Fibreglass is probably the easiest material to patch holes.

I'd say encourage his enthusiasm!

Pond Liner Material Identification - What Pond Liner to Choose FLP Ponds (alternative) 0 10-02-2010 10:35 AM
Old Fiberglass Spa - New Pond? BB Ponds (moderated) 14 11-09-2007 10:51 PM
Pond Liner vs. Roof Liner BenignVanilla Ponds 8 15-11-2006 07:09 PM
Fiberglass pond w/ window Koi-Lo Ponds 10 03-03-2006 02:19 PM
Pond liner: old fiberglass boat hull? Pam Gibbs Ponds (alternative) 2 14-01-2004 10:02 AM