Old 01-12-2003, 02:32 PM
John

Default Book Recommendation & Advice

Can anyone recommend a good book on maintaining a fish pond? I inherited a
1500 gallon pond stocked with Koi when I bought my home recently.

Also, I'm having trouble keeping the pump going. The filter clogs after
about 2 hours of use, and has to be cleaned. Do I need to change the water
in the pond, or treat the water?

Old 01-12-2003, 06:02 PM
Simon Avery

"John" wrote:

Hello John

J Also, I'm having trouble keeping the pump going. The filter
J clogs after about 2 hours of use, and has to be cleaned. Do
J I need to change the water in the pond, or treat the water?

Dunno - kinda hard to tell from here.

A pump clogging that fast means one of:

The water has an awful lot of crap in it.

Too much weed.

Pump too low and picking up mud from bottom. Sit on a brick or block
so it's in free water.

Pump undersized, old or just crap. Replace with pump suitable for
amount of water. (Do some calcs, how many thousand gallons do you
have?)

Pump requires pre-filter (a mesh basket the pump sits in, basically)

What is it running btw? A waterfall, fountain, a set of filters, what?

As for learning about Koi, Google is your very best friend. There are
HUNDREDS of great Koi websites out there!

Old 07-12-2003, 01:42 PM
amanda pope

There are a couple of excelent koi encyclopedias Try the following link for
details.

http://www.arghamvillage.co.uk/produ...SSID=ca0c98018
bdbb93dc090f541052a4bb9

For your pump problem.
Raise the pump of the bottom. or use a pre filter.