GardenBanter.co.uk

-   Ponds (alternative) (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds-alternative/)
-   -   First! (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds-alternative/49446-first.html)

VødkäJéllÿ 31-12-2003 04:45 PM

First!

What is the minimum depth a pond should be? Am thinking of making a small
one for my children, they are old enough now, and would like frogs too.

Vj

:O)

Morten 31-12-2003 07:20 PM

First!

That Depends on where you are...

The deeper the better (also gives you a larger volume as an added bonus...).

Here in UK the recommended depth of a pond is min. 3 feet (to keep the pond
from freezing solid in the winter). This is zone 8 i believe...

/Morten

"VødkäJéllÿ" wrote in message
What is the minimum depth a pond should be? Am thinking of making a small
one for my children, they are old enough now, and would like frogs too.

Vj

:O)

---

VødkäJéllÿ 01-01-2004 11:02 AM

First!

Oxymel of Squill wrote:
|| depends how tall they are.
|| "VødkäJéllÿ" wrote in message
||| What is the minimum depth a pond should be? Am thinking of making
||| a small one for my children, they are old enough now, and would
||| like frogs too.
||| Vj

oh har har ;o)

Vj

VødkäJéllÿ 01-01-2004 11:02 AM

First!

Morten wrote:
|| That Depends on where you are...
|| The deeper the better (also gives you a larger volume as an added
|| bonus...).
|| Here in UK the recommended depth of a pond is min. 3 feet (to keep
|| the pond from freezing solid in the winter). This is zone 8 i
|| believe...
|| /Morten

Thanks :O)

Can you recommend any good Pond websites I can peruse?

Cheers

Vj

Phil L 02-01-2004 01:03 AM

First!

VødkäJéllÿ wrote:
: What is the minimum depth a pond should be? Am thinking of making a
: small one for my children, they are old enough now, and would like
: frogs too.
:
: Vj
:
:: O)

If you just want a frog pond, then a fairly shallow one with plants will be
sufficient i should imagine, if you want fish, then it will need to be
bigger and deeper.
(although i get the feeling you just wanted to be the first poster to this
NG?...)
:-p

VødkäJéllÿ 02-01-2004 02:32 PM

First!

Phil L wrote:
|| If you just want a frog pond, then a fairly shallow one with plants
|| will be sufficient i should imagine, if you want fish, then it will
|| need to be bigger and deeper.
|| (although i get the feeling you just wanted to be the first poster
|| to this NG?...)
|| :-p

heh heh... I actually HAVE been looking into building my own pond, and being
first didn't even cross my mind ;o)
The header was a complete mistake, it should have read Frost!

Vj

*yee*

VødkäJéllÿ 03-01-2004 07:42 PM

First!

megadaisy wrote:
|| Our pond is 18" deep and our frogs are very happy.
|| MegaDaisy

Thanks Daisy.

I live in England, and I have to make sure it is at least 3 feet deep,
because of the ice freezing over! We are planning the DIG for springtime,
Won't THAT be fun!

:O)

Vj

Jed 05-01-2004 05:40 PM

First!

Quote:

Originally posted by VødkäJéllÿ
megadaisy wrote:
|| Our pond is 18" deep and our frogs are very happy.
|| MegaDaisy

Thanks Daisy.

I live in England, and I have to make sure it is at least 3 feet deep,
because of the ice freezing over! We are planning the DIG for springtime,
Won't THAT be fun!

:O)

Vj

Please don't forget to have at least one shallow angled side for the frogs to climb out again.
Jed

Nick 29-02-2004 11:35 PM

First!

You didn't say how old the children are? I have had a pool for about ten
years with small children growing up. I covered the pond with a compost heap
frame. this is wire coated in green plastic with 4" square holes. The plants
can grow through and the fish and newts are of course fine with it.

With regards to depth of ponds I made the mistake of thinking that if the
pond is deep and the bottom doesnt freeze then the fish will be OK. Mine
died, probably due to the gases in the decomposing leaves at the bottom of
the pool. I was told to keep an air hole (how do you make an air hole
without smashing the ice ? I was told a pan of boiling water left on the ice
but this s useless when the ice is a few inches thick or more)

"Jed" wrote in message
s.com...

--
Jed