Old 24-01-2003, 11:19 PM
Tom

Default pond in winter

I live just north of Detroit, MI zone 5/6. My pond is 650 gallons and 2' at
it's deepest. I turn my waterfall / stream off before freezing temperatures
arrive. I'm afraid that the stream could freeze and drain the pond.

My solution is to use a small aquarium air pump. Right now the hole that was
kept open by the bubbles has been frozen over for 15 - 20 days but the pump
is still working. The air escapes somewhere. When the temperatures rise the
hole will reopen.

Being in zone 4/5 I would have made the pond at least 3' deep. How deep is
your pond and do you know the gallons?

Tom

I'd like to get some idea of how people keep their pond from freezing in
winter. Economical suggestions will be welcome also.
This is my 7th year of pondkeeping in Zone 4/5. I always think winter will
be a break but alas always problems. I havve had three things going so if
one defaults I still have 2 backup. About 4 years ago I lost all my Koi
because it froze solid.
I have a waterfall running(which stopped 2 days ago cause the circuit
breaker tripped....a bubbler (which froze and no longer working) and a

1000
watt heater running constantly.....thanks Sofia

Old 31-01-2003, 01:55 PM
Cookie

Hi Tom, My pond is 2200 gallons..this is my 7th winter with it. It's about 5
feet deep in center. I thought I could get a rest from pondkeeping in the
winter but no such thing. I had to pull the hose out of the basement right
before it got real cold and add an inch of water. I am glad I did that
because if my waterfall stops then my pump will freeze. Hopefully the warm
weather will defrost some of the ice......Cookie
"A thing of beauty is a job forever!"