GardenBanter.co.uk

-   Ponds (alternative) (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds-alternative/)
-   -   Pump Socks (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds-alternative/508-pump-socks.html)

BenignVanilla 04-02-2003 05:27 PM

Pump Socks

Is anyone using or has anyone used a pump sock to protect their pump?

--
BenignVanilla
tibetanbeefgarden.com

Remove MY SPLEEN to email me.

John Rutz 04-02-2003 09:55 PM

Pump Socks

BenignVanilla wrote:
Is anyone using or has anyone used a pump sock to protect their pump?

--
BenignVanilla
tibetanbeefgarden.com
x-no-archive: yes

Remove MY SPLEEN to email me.

I did a couple years ago it clogged easily and starved the pump,

as far as stuff geting into the pump the only thing that has clogged my
pumps is plant leaves that break off and get tangled in the impeller,
a bunch of the pumps will pass up to 1/2 in solids and some will pass 1
in stuff

--
John Rutz

I'm not Porg am not am not am so
see my pond at:
http://www.fuerjefe.com

punky 05-02-2003 01:52 AM

Pump Socks

Yep, but I "invented" my own. I put the pump in a utility tub from the
Dollar Store and then the whole mess into a "media bag".
"BenignVanilla" wrote in
message ...

~ jan 05-02-2003 10:57 PM

Pump Socks

Is anyone using or has anyone used a pump sock to protect their pump?

For my main koi pond pump, I too do the gravity filter so pump is getting
the clean water. In the lily pond where the pumps are just for water
features I encase the pumps in the black mesh potting containers for water
plants by taking two and clam shelling them together with zip ties. My son
uses a drill to get the hole just right for the cord (at the rim) and hose
at the top. The key to any successful "sock" is surface area. :o) ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

IAN GARDNER 07-02-2003 01:02 PM

Pump Socks

"BenignVanilla" wrote in
message ...
Is anyone using or has anyone used a pump sock to protect their pump?

I took the filter thing off of my pump and got a plastic basket and cut a
hole in it for the pump top (outlet) to go through. I then covered the whole
basket (not the outlet) with net curtains. This acts as a sieve. My old pump
filter used to get clogged up really quickly. I extended the top bit of the
pump so you cannot really see the top of the basket.

--
SEE YER..
IAN P. GARDNER