Old 26-02-2004, 02:30 AM
Audrey Dianne Verge

Default PINE TREE EMERGENCY!!! Need HELP!!!

Hello,

Some nasty snowplow snapped off the top of our evergreen tree today. It was
about six feet tall and now it is about three feet tall. I want to save
this tree. I read someplace about apple trees and grafting tops onto
trunks. Is this really possible and how on earth can I do it (should I be
able to dig the snow out).

Thanks.

Audrey

Old 26-02-2004, 02:59 AM
Glenn Lynn

My experience with pine trees is that it will fix its self. It will
pick out one of the limbs to be a new leader and that will become the
top. This process will take a couple of years. There will always be
a bump where it broke off.

Old 10-03-2004, 11:10 PM
Brian Pirot

Actually it is possible to graft the old section back on the tree. You would
have to cut it and reconnect it a certain way and you would want to use
grafting tape and hormones.
You can retrain a new leader as well. It will look very bad for a few years
or longer. The problem there is going to be a noticeable difference because
of the extreme decrease in size in that area.
Because the tree is only 6' tall. I would just remove the tree and replace
it for $100 instead of the grief and money that you would spend on trying to
repair a small tree.

Brian