Old 31-03-2004, 01:24 AM
Larry

Default Koi out of pond

I have a 10" Koi who was out of the pond when I got home tonight. Not
completely dry but not breathing. Got him back in water and moved him
by hand to get some water flowing through gills. He started breathing
but still very weak. He's on side and having difficulty moving at all.
tends to drift down but is breathing. Water temp is about 40 degrees.
Pond has a pump filter and I put him in the flow from the pump where
it re-enters the water.
Am I stressing him too much by moving him around?
Should I move him to warmer water?
If so, should it be done immediately and how fast do I raise the
temperature?
Will it stress him or subject him diseases?
Old 31-03-2004, 08:31 PM
Lee B.

Yowza! Poor fish! On the plus side, he's still alive. On the negative side,
it's awful darn cold (which is, in a way, also a plus). Hopefully you have a
quarantine tank somewhere. I'd move the fish, along with some of his pond
water, to the Q-tank. Install a large airstone and a heater. Raise the temp
and keep the air going. Maybe add some salt to the 1.5 - 2 ppm range. The
fish has probably been seriously compromised, so consider him a houseguest
until the pond warms. You may be stressing him by moving him, but the
alternative to NOT moving him isn't too pleasant. Watch the water parameters
like a HAWK.

Good luck!
Lee

om...

Old 01-04-2004, 11:14 AM
AZKalEl

Be careful, not sure I'd make it too warm. Bringing him inside will
put him from 40 to about 70 degrees over a few hours...might be a
shock.
Old 01-04-2004, 11:30 AM
AZKalEl

Old 01-04-2004, 11:30 AM
AZKalEl

Old 01-04-2004, 11:51 AM
AZKalEl

Old 01-04-2004, 11:51 AM
AZKalEl

Old 01-04-2004, 01:33 PM
AZKalEl

Old 01-04-2004, 02:06 PM
AZKalEl

Old 01-04-2004, 02:31 PM
AZKalEl

Old 09-04-2004, 11:33 AM
~ Windsong ~

"Larry" wrote in message
om...
I have a 10" Koi who was out of the pond when I got home tonight. Not
completely dry but not breathing.

========================
Before netting our ponds we lost a few goldfish and koi by jumping. Now
they manage to wiggle off the rocks and fall back into the ponds. Not one
"jumping" death in years. :-)
--
Carol....
My Webpages:

Koi out of pond Larry Ponds 15 09-04-2004 11:34 AM
Koi Jumping out of Pond RED1102 Ponds 5 09-08-2003 09:42 PM
koi and plants? depends on the pond size.... and the koi's diet... adavisus Ponds 3 07-08-2003 08:22 AM
Leaves/Debris in Pond- Clean out in Koi Pond? MC Ponds 2 28-05-2003 03:08 PM
Can Just Me Koi come out of Time Out? Just Me \Koi\ Ponds 9 26-04-2003 06:32 PM