Old 25-04-2004, 06:04 AM
Michael Elliott

Default Help with strange tree tumors/fungus? Links to pictures

Thanks to anyone who can shed some light on this; I'm a complete tree
non-expert. I don't even know what species it is. At the end of last
summer, we noticed some strange growths or tumors on the ends of the
twigs. I have a page of photos at
http://michaelelliott3.tripod.com/tree/tree.html I recall that I broke
a couple of them open, and there was a liquid inside which was bluish
in color. This year, I see these small greenish balls forming along the
green shoots. The abnormal-appearing ones seem to be present at the
junction between the leaves and the twig. There are some smaller ones
that also look like normal fruit/seeds from the tree (they are on their
own individual stalks). There are also some growths on many of the
leaves. I've included close-ups of the front and back of the leaves.
The lesions penetrate through the leaf. I've looked on the 'net a bit,
and the only thing that I can find is "black knot gall" which sounds
similar.

If anyone can write back to me at (subject: trees)
and let me know, I'd appreciate it. We're in mid-Oklahoma in the USA,
if that helps the species/disease determination. The main info I'm
looking for is:

*

1) what species of tree is this?

2) do you know what is going on? For all I know, these are normal
findings

3) Any ideas about what to do about it?

Thanks! Michael

http://michaelelliott3.tripod.com/tree/tree.html