Old 02-05-2004, 04:09 PM
quilla

Default Fish vs Sunlight

I live in the south of the UK & I want to construct a second pond, which
will be stream fed from my first pond. The first pond is in direct sun for
most of the day & has lots of wildlife inc' great crested newts & a couple
of grass carp, but the second pond will be in dappled shade & surrounded by
thin bushes & small trees.

I intend to dig it to about 1500 gallons. Predominantly I want to stock
medium size carp, maybe koi's, orfes & tench etc..

Will the lack of direct sunlight be too detrimental to the health of the
fish & what other concerns shold I consider?

Thanks

Quilla

Old 03-05-2004, 05:04 AM
George

"quilla" wrote in message
I live in the south of the UK & I want to construct a second pond, which
will be stream fed from my first pond. The first pond is in direct sun for
most of the day & has lots of wildlife inc' great crested newts & a couple
of grass carp, but the second pond will be in dappled shade & surrounded by
thin bushes & small trees.

I intend to dig it to about 1500 gallons. Predominantly I want to stock
medium size carp, maybe koi's, orfes & tench etc..

Will the lack of direct sunlight be too detrimental to the health of the
fish & what other concerns shold I consider?

Thanks

Quilla

Not at all, unless you want to grow water plants in the pond, which may pose a
problem. Another thing to consider is the type of shading. For instance, if
you place the pond in proximity to deciduous trees, expect to be cleaning leaves
and other material out of it quite often. It would probably be better if the
shade plants were evergreens instead, since they produce less material that
would end up in the pond. Other than that, go for it.

Fish vs Sunlight (vs Laburnam) quilla Ponds (alternative) 3 09-05-2004 11:05 PM
fish vs sunlight quilla Ponds 0 02-05-2004 04:12 PM
Re(2): Sunlight requirements for Kiwi Glenna Rose Edible Gardening 0 21-03-2003 04:44 AM
new 125g natural sunlight goldfish aquarium s g Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 06-03-2003 05:03 AM
Color intensity and Sunlight Gene Schurg Orchids 4 25-01-2003 06:53 PM