Old 04-05-2004, 06:03 AM
Jazzman

Default UV Clarifyers

Anyone out there use a UV clarifyer, and if
so, was there a dramatic difference in water
clarity?
Just want to make sure " the end justifies the means".
Will I be spending $300.00 for something that will not improve
water conditions above and beyond what the plants are
giving me now?
Joe

Old 04-05-2004, 02:02 PM
Glenn Lynn

I just installed one and went from pea soup to crystal clear in about
four days. It is my intention to turn it off after the plants get
going a little better. I recommend one. I have about a 1000 gallon
pond and spent a little less than $200 for a clarifier and special
pump. Hope this helps, Glenn

Old 09-05-2004, 05:04 AM
George

"Glenn Lynn" wrote in message
I just installed one and went from pea soup to crystal clear in about
four days. It is my intention to turn it off after the plants get
going a little better. I recommend one. I have about a 1000 gallon
pond and spent a little less than $200 for a clarifier and special
pump. Hope this helps, Glenn

My problem with UV clarifiers is that they not only kill the algae, but kill the
beneficial bacteria in the water as well. The best result, in my opinion is to
try to balance the water conditions, remove dead and decaying matter and uneaten
food, and use a good filtration system. If you still have an algae problem,
your pond may be getting too much sunlight. My pond is close to a large oak
tree, on its western side. When the tree has full foliage, it provides ample
shade, and I have no algae problems at all. However, in early spring, when the
leaves are first sprouting, and the sunlight is increasing, I tend to have an
algae problem. I use an algacide at this time, at half recommended strength (to
prevent shock to my water plants) with no problems. In fact, it is the only
time I ever have to treat the water. At the same time I add a powder bacteria
formula that you can get at any garden supply shop. This will help establish
ample colonies of beneficial bacteria in the water, along the sides, on the
rocks, and within the filtration system. Once they are established, add some
powdered bacteria about once a month to make sure they stay established. It is
much cheaper than a UV filter, is as effective, in my opinion, and doesn't kill
off the bacteria that are essential for proper water balance in the pond. P.S.,
my pond is 45" deep and I can see all the way to the bottom. It has only a very
slight tint, but is transluscent, which is the way it should be.

Old 25-05-2004, 04:02 AM
Dances With Ferrets

I highly recommend U.V. clarifiers, and I disagree with part of
Glenn's statement regarding the death of beneficial bacteria. While
it IS true that most any organism that passes through the clarifier
will be killed, including beneficial bacteria, Your main bacterial
culture resides in your filter, rocks, plants, and gravel or whatever
substrate there may be in the bottom of the pond. The amount of
bacteria suspended in the water is insignificant compared to the vast
amount of bacteria which are attached to most every surface in the
pond. Just make sure to use a good biological filter in addition to
your U.V. clarifier and you will have a crystal-clear pond. No
worries about killing off the beneficial bacteria.

Good luck with your pondkeeping