Old 14-05-2004, 11:56 AM
Registered User

Default New to Pond life

I have inherited a small pond with 5 large goldfish.

I have a pump in the pond but it requires cleaning out every 2 days as it gets clogged up very quickly.
During the winter the water was as clear as crystal but now as the weather warms up im notcing alot more algae(i think) and green slushly stuff.

There are currently no plants in the pond.

What do i need to do to improve the water and to help keep my pump filter clear?

Many thanks
__________________
Find me and follow me.............
Old 15-05-2004, 12:04 AM
George

s.com...

--
Lemmonie
Find me and follow me.............

A filter will help substantially in preventing the pump from getting clogged,
and help decrease the turbidity of the water (increase the clarity). There are
a couple of things you can do to minimize the algae problem. Add water plants
so they can remove the nitrates. Add algacide, and/or add a product that is a
type of bacteria that will eliminate most of the nutrients in the water, and
rapidly eat any dead and decaying debris that gets in the pond. Reduce the
amount of sunlight that your pond receives. You can do this with plants. Some
use UV light filters, but it is expensive, and I believe unnecessary. In fact,
it is my belief that it does more harm than good since it doesn't discriminate
between green algae and good bacteria. In conclusion, you need to maintain a
natural a balance to your water quality.