GardenBanter.co.uk

-   Ponds (alternative) (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds-alternative/)
-   -   Looking at building a pond but.... (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds-alternative/61958-looking-building-pond-but.html)

daryl wilde 23-05-2004 07:17 AM

Looking at building a pond but....

The cost of the skimmer and filter box are expensive ~$500 or more. Has
anyone seen plans to build one? Any special concerns??

Thinking of using either external quality (CDX) or marine grade plywood and
then covering with liner......comments. Expect the pond to be 6 ft x 8 ft
or so and 18-24in deep.

Thanks Daryl

SA 23-05-2004 06:03 PM

Looking at building a pond but....

I dug out a hole about (2ft x 3ft) x 2ft deep. Worked with this in the
middle and srrounded it with a 1ft high wall making the overall size about
6ft x 8ft. I removed any obvious large or sharp objects and covered most of
the bottom with strips of old carpet .. then about 1" of soft sand before
using my liner, which laps over the wall. Half fill with water to stretch
the liner and then did one more course of brick on the wall. Trimmed off the
liner and I was done.

I bought a starter pond kit which included a 200 gallon per hour pump and a
gravity fed filter to match, which cost me about $150 (max)

There's still more to do, but I've started this to be a project over the
next year or so.

More than happy with the reult.

Steve \(Dart\) 26-05-2004 11:07 AM

Looking at building a pond but....

check this inexpensive filter out. you can keep adding to the system if
required.
http://www.geocities.com/ghawkins_ca/barrelfilter.html