Old 28-05-2004, 03:06 PM
dkat

Default OT Paging Dr Solo - Help - Sick Fish

Now this is exactly why I think cross posting is acceptable sometimes and
sometimes necessary. I had assumed this person had only gone to one room
and knew his answer was waiting for him/her in another. Because they had
only the one group in their posting I had no idea they had posted elsewhere.
I can certainly understand why people get ticked with inappropriate cross
posting (and I have been the culprit of clicking on the wrong group to send
to - I'm still doing mea culpa for a political post in the pottery room...)
but this is exactly the situation where you want it in as many rooms with
the possible answer as possible and for it to be clear where the message has
gone to.... just my little sidebar for the month

wrote in message
I answered this on rec.goldfish already. Ingrid

"dkat" wrote:

"Coop" wrote in message
Anyone who can help, please contact me asap. I have a large (12-14")

Koi,
about 3 years old, that has what appears to be Algae (the long variety,

as
opposed to slimy film type) down both sides of the fish, towards the

ventral
(underbelly). The left eye also appears to be clouded, although not

covered
with the same green coating. Through the water and from a distance of

about
2 feet, it appears as though the "algae" is growing into and underneath

the
scales of the fish.

Thank you for your help,
Ian

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

Old 29-05-2004, 05:04 AM
coop

Thank you everyone for your concern. I have taken your answers into
consideration. I also spoke with "The Koi Nursery" in Port Perry Ontario
and basically the same response. This fish is all but gone. Somehow, it
lost it's slime coat and a parasite has moved in and allowed algae to grow.
Although some of you have mentioned a salt dip and injections, I think by
looking at it and in talking to a a fish breeder, the damage has been done
and the humane thing to do is to end its suffering.

Unless someone wants to convince me otherwise, I will likely do that this
weekend. Again thank you for your help.

Sincerely,
Ian
. net...

"dkat" wrote:

"Coop" wrote in message
Anyone who can help, please contact me asap. I have a large (12-14")

Koi,
about 3 years old, that has what appears to be Algae (the long

variety,
as
opposed to slimy film type) down both sides of the fish, towards the
ventral
(underbelly). The left eye also appears to be clouded, although not
covered
with the same green coating. Through the water and from a distance

of
about
2 feet, it appears as though the "algae" is growing into and

underneath
the
scales of the fish.

Thank you for your help,
Ian

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

Old 29-05-2004, 05:10 PM

well. koi do bounce back from some pretty hellatious conditions, including sores
that eat all the way to teh bone. I guess the only condition I consider for putting
them down is when they are curling and not swimming or eating. Ingrid

"coop" wrote:

Thank you everyone for your concern. I have taken your answers into
consideration. I also spoke with "The Koi Nursery" in Port Perry Ontario
and basically the same response. This fish is all but gone. Somehow, it
lost it's slime coat and a parasite has moved in and allowed algae to grow.
Although some of you have mentioned a salt dip and injections, I think by
looking at it and in talking to a a fish breeder, the damage has been done
and the humane thing to do is to end its suffering.

Unless someone wants to convince me otherwise, I will likely do that this
weekend. Again thank you for your help.

Sincerely,
Ian
.net...

"dkat" wrote:

"Coop" wrote in message
Anyone who can help, please contact me asap. I have a large (12-14")

Koi,
about 3 years old, that has what appears to be Algae (the long

variety,
as
opposed to slimy film type) down both sides of the fish, towards the
ventral
(underbelly). The left eye also appears to be clouded, although not
covered
with the same green coating. Through the water and from a distance

of
about
2 feet, it appears as though the "algae" is growing into and

underneath
the
scales of the fish.

Thank you for your help,
Ian

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
Old 31-05-2004, 05:03 AM
coop

Hi Ingrid, et al: Are you really a doctor, or if not what experience do you
have with fish? I am not being nasty, simply asking, because I am new to
the group. I obviously would love to keep this fish and if you think it is
worth trying, I will. If I can catch him and treat him, would a 35 gallon
aquarium be big enough for a salt bath? How would I do the bath or dip? -
sorry, just went to rec...goldfish and found your advice.

I am not sure I understand fully, so to clarify: I will place the fish in a
bucket of water mixed 1/2 of NON-iodized salt/gallon anywhere from 30
seconds to 5 minutes. I will then remove the fish from the bucket and place
it in a 35 gallon tank of fresh water. Should I add any salt to this tank?
How long do I need to keep him in here? What will I see after the dip? Will
the "algae" fall off? What do I do with the parasite if it is still there?

Thanks for all your help,
Ian

"coop" wrote:

Thank you everyone for your concern. I have taken your answers into
consideration. I also spoke with "The Koi Nursery" in Port Perry Ontario
and basically the same response. This fish is all but gone. Somehow, it
lost it's slime coat and a parasite has moved in and allowed algae to

grow.
Although some of you have mentioned a salt dip and injections, I think by
looking at it and in talking to a a fish breeder, the damage has been

done
and the humane thing to do is to end its suffering.

Unless someone wants to convince me otherwise, I will likely do that this
weekend. Again thank you for your help.

Sincerely,
Ian
.net...

"dkat" wrote:

"Coop" wrote in message
[...]

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

Old 31-05-2004, 06:03 PM

http://home.wi.rr.com/drsolo/author/author1.htm
http://puregold.aquaria.net/pg/pgcharacters.html
I have my PhD in microbiology. I am a doc, not a physician or veterinarian.
most of this site is purely Jo Ann Burke, who is the expert. I just "channel" for
her when the case is difficult.
you only need a 1 gallon container for a salt bath. the salt bath needs only be 30
seconds long. we are talking 3% salt bath,not the 0.1% salt in the tank all the time.

look here http://puregold.aquaria.net/pg/disease/disease.htm
scroll down to treatment, salt dips, read the other one uses of salt.
yes. do salt dip first using your hands from front to back of fish to help strip
slime coat off the fish, but move fish at first sign it quits struggling, then put
fish into fresh water with 0.1% salt. most of the parasites will get stripped off,
altho it wont remove the bacteria that are in any wounds. it wont remove all the
parasites either, but if the fish looks and acts pretty healthy then you can do the
treatment like PP or formalin. at the top of the page is the physical, especially
the gills should be bright cherry red if not, then dont put any treatment in the
water. Ingrid

"coop" wrote:
[...]

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

Old 17-06-2004, 01:04 AM
Coop

I just thought that I would share with you the amazing recovery of my
foot-long butterfly Koi. Although I was told by one expert to put him out
of his misery, you, specifically Ingrid suggested that Koi have a way of
recovering from serious disease that would boggle the mind. I decided to do
a salt dip and quarantine the fish until he could recover. I couldn't,
however,find a net with a long enough handle to catch him. While I was
looking for one, the "algae" dissapeared off of his flanks. I just figured
he was getting weak and the other fish were picking at it. Yesterday and
today I was able to get a closer look at him, as he swam within 2 feet of
me, and his scales are intact and there is barely a mark on him. I sure am
glad I couldn't find the net when I had decided to "euthanize" him.

Thanks to everyone who wrote with advice.
Ian

"Tom L. La Bron" wrote in message
Ian,

Also, Ingrid has only been keeping Goldfish for about 8
years now, by her own admission.

And as far as Jo Ann Burke is concerned she was a LFS
owner in Alabama who sold very expensive Goldfish for
about 25 years or maybe a little longer, who has taken
two courses at a university.

If you want real Vet advice go to Dr. Erik Johnson's
site http://www.koivet.com/ , he has written a
book published by a real publisher on fish care and
diseases oriented to KOI and ponds (but can be used for
Goldfish also), and it is not photocopied and it has
color pictures. Interestingly enough, it is about the
same price or less than the photocopied production and
can be bought from real book sellers or on his site.
It also has an ISBN. He also has some videos that are
very good about fish care and was co-author with Rick
Hess, one of the best Goldfish books written to date
called "Fancy Goldfish".

HTH

Tom L.L.

"coop" wrote:

[...]