Old 30-05-2004, 11:06 PM
Oxymel_of_Squill

Default empty pond

came home from a week away to find the lilly pond all but empty. Bit
mystified as there's no sign of a leak anywhere and the walls of the pond
beyond the plastic liner don't feel soggy. And the fish pond level had
dropped less than an inch (we've had a couple of dry weeks).

Same thing happened last year, lilly pond merrily ponding along, then
suddenly in dry weather emptied itself. I filled it up and it stayed ok
until this week's little performance. Is there something large out there
with a great thirst? Or am I missing something obvious?

cheers

Jon

Old 31-05-2004, 12:03 AM
jbjrfan

do you have a waterfall that can get plugged and the overflow will drain the
pond and the debris fall out later after the pond is empty ? like pine combs
that's what happens to mine !

Old 31-05-2004, 12:03 AM
dkat

Raccoons once happily pulled the tubing from my pump out of the water (I
pump water from the lower larger pond up to a smaller pond that has plants
and no fish -well is meant to have no fish). It emptied all of the pond but
for a few inches. Since then I have kept my pump in a 5 gallon bucket
filled with lava rocks. It serves as a bio filter this way and also insures
that the water will never drop lower than the height of the bucket (15").
In a week a very minor leak can empty a pond. How many gallons is your
pond?

Old 01-06-2004, 09:05 PM
Oxymel_of_Squill

no there's no waterfall or pump. It's a lilly pond so there's no moving
water. Except disappearing water of course. I've filled it up and it's
sitting there quite happily. But I bet it will suddenly evacuate itself
again one night

Jon

et...

Old 01-06-2004, 10:03 PM
SA

Check to see if the neighbour has a pet elephant.

I joke, because I haven't a clue.