GardenBanter.co.uk

-   Ponds (alternative) (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds-alternative/)
-   -   Duckweed (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds-alternative/63192-duckweed.html)

Eric 08-06-2004 04:29 PM

Duckweed

Can anybody tell me how to get rid of duckweed.

--
Regards

Eric

dkat 08-06-2004 04:29 PM

Duckweed

Get some koi :)

--
***************************************
Listen to Air America Radio

Brian Watson 08-06-2004 04:29 PM

Duckweed

"dkat" wrote in message
Get some koi :)

....and keep netting the stuff out.

--
Brian
"The wind, do you hear it? It says 'Hel ... looo'"

SA 09-06-2004 08:09 PM

Duckweed

Think I heard that you get some barley straw in a fine net bag and weight it
to be just under the surface.

Brian Watson 10-06-2004 08:07 PM

Duckweed

"SA" wrote in message
Think I heard that you get some barley straw in a fine net bag and weight

it
to be just under the surface.

Don't think that has any effect on duckweed, however it can help to clean
green water.

--
Brian
"I know about kittens and knitting. Will that do?"

dkat 01-07-2004 10:03 PM

Duckweed

Missed the original post. My Koi (3 butterfly) will not allow me to keep
duckweed. I have to keep it in a pond that only has mosquito fish or it is
gone in short order.

s.com...

Morten 03-07-2004 11:02 AM

Duckweed

"dkat" wrote in message
. net...
Missed the original post. My Koi (3 butterfly) will not allow me to keep
duckweed. I have to keep it in a pond that only has mosquito fish or it

is
gone in short order.

My frog bog / pond is cpmletely covered in duckweed, I know there are aloot
of frogs downthere but does the duckweed harm them?

/Morten

---

dkat 04-07-2004 06:02 PM

Duckweed

Frogs are going to get their oxygen from the air (not from the oxygen in the
water as fish do) so the duck weed really should not be a problem for them.
If you had fish in there and had a massive die off of the duck weed it would
be problematic..... I have never heard of anyone having an issue with too
much duck weed. You might want to see if anyone is local to you that his
fish. They really do like eating it and it is good for them.
"Morten" wrote in message

. net...