Old 20-06-2004, 09:03 PM
Rick

Default New at this

my pond is about one month old, it is about 1200 gallons big. i have a
1500GPM pump and the filter that goes with the pump, (from lowes) the pump
is in the pond and the filter is on top at the start of the water fall in a
black trash can that i cut in half. i dug a hole put the liner in and put
the 1/2 trash can on the liner, put the filter in sits in the trash can,
this way i can put the lid in the trash can and it all looks nice because
you only see the top of the lid and it is protected from the weather. four
one inch holes allow the water to drain into the top of the water fall witch
keeps the filter only half under water fore easy cleaning. the top of the
waterfall is a small 2x2x1/2 pre pond with a little gavel on the button to
hide the liner. it then goes down the rest of the water fall into the pond.
i put some gravel from a small creak in my pond and my kids put some little
two inch fish that they got from the creak in the pound. i don't know what
kind they are but i never seen them any bigger then four inches long in the
creak. i also have 3 koi (three inches long) my son though would be a nice
addition. oh and lets not forget the fore or five crawdads that came with
the gravel. i also had 2 ducks but after the destroyed all my plants that
were just starting to grow nicely i had to find them a another home. my
plants are now recovering.
So now that you know the history, probably more than you need to know. my
problem is that at fist i had a lot of algae, so i put an all natural pond
water treatment by Nac Court Products Inc. in my pound. it started to clear
up and i could see the fish and the plant baskets in the water. now however
i have foam on the water and it seams that it is getting worse by the day.
this morning the hole top of the pond was covered.
things that i have learned today reading in the group is that i was cleaning
my filter when the gage on it showed that it was time,with tap water. i know
now to use pond water. also would it be a good idea to plant some plants in
the top little pre pond? and should i just fill it with gravel when i plant
them so all the water goes thru the gravel.
so how do i get rid of the foam and how do i get clear water with as little
maintenance as possible.
thanx for your time Rick.

Old 22-06-2004, 01:03 AM
dkat

If I understand your setup correctly, you would put in plants such as water
hyacinths, water lettuce, water celery and such in the prepond. Basically
the kind of plant you want is one that has the green above water and the
roots floating in the water. The more roots the better. Do not put in any
gravel additional gravel. The roots of the plants will both suck up the
fish wastes which will cut down on the algae and filter out the dirt (which
is what causes the foam) and these plants do not root into soil or gravel
but float in the water. This would be your veggie filter. You can find it
described lots of places if you do a search. To me it is the best system
for keeping a nice clean and healthy system. Your prepond is a bit on the
small size for a veggie filter and your size pond. You might want to take
the lid off of your trash can and put floating water plants in there as
well.

news

Old 22-06-2004, 08:02 PM
Oxymel_of_Squill

I'd leave the pond at least a year before introducing fish. Ponds aren't
weekend projects

and never never use chemicals

Jon

news

Old 23-06-2004, 01:06 AM
dkat

The person already has fish. I put in feeder fish to my pond to keep down
the mosquito population as soon as it was chlorine free. A decade later I
still have some of those fish and many of their decedents. There is not
hard and fast rule to anything and most people introduce fish soon after
their water is set. I can't even image waiting a year unless you are going
to hand fertilize your plants, cover the pond with plastic so no new water
enters or leaves the system (tap water, rain water, well all have chemicals
other than H20), etc. Most of us who have ponds do so successfully and many
of us have full time outside jobs that means we are mostly "weekend"
ponders. Once you have a good veggie filter and biological filter as long
as you don't overload your pond with too many critters it really does take
care of itself for the most part. In fact my pond is far easier to care for
than most of my garden.

"Oxymel_of_Squill" wrote in message
I'd leave the pond at least a year before introducing fish. Ponds aren't
weekend projects

and never never use chemicals

Jon

news

Old 30-06-2004, 01:08 AM
dkat

While I REALLY liked your picture, you should know that it is considered
impolite to post pictures in a news group. Instead post a link to a site on
the web where you have uploaded them.

"Lois Frye" wrote in message
My pond will be 1 year August 28th..I introduced 4 Koi the first day. No
problems.

All I need to do now, is learn how to make the pictures smaller LOL

Lois in Texas

news

Old 30-06-2004, 02:04 AM
Lois Frye

Sorry, I didn't mean to be impolite.
I haven't been on a newsgroup for over a year.
How do I post a link?
oh well, nevermind, I'll just have to figure it out. :-)
I think I can do that.

Lois
. net...

"Lois Frye" wrote in message
My pond will be 1 year August 28th..I introduced 4 Koi the first day. No
problems.

All I need to do now, is learn how to make the pictures smaller LOL

Lois in Texas

news

Old 30-06-2004, 05:06 AM
dkat

http://www.ofoto.com/ is a nice site for posting photos - and they have
great software for uploading pictures. I'm new to posting my pictures so
I'm not sure about it (that is I don't know if people can easily access this
site, how long they allow you to keep picture there or how many, how to link
to it, etc). It would be nice to get a little thread going on the issue
from folks who knew more about it.

http://www.ofoto.com/BrowsePhotos.js...so rt_order=0

I did not imagine you to be impolite. Just thought you should be given the
heads up before someone was rude about it - Perhaps I should have made it a
direct email but that seems to be ... too forward.

"Lois Frye" wrote in message
news
Sorry, I didn't mean to be impolite.
I haven't been on a newsgroup for over a year.
How do I post a link?
oh well, nevermind, I'll just have to figure it out. :-)
I think I can do that.

Lois
. net...

"Lois Frye" wrote in message
My pond will be 1 year August 28th..I introduced 4 Koi the first day. No
problems.

All I need to do now, is learn how to make the pictures smaller LOL

Lois in Texas

news

Old 30-06-2004, 05:06 AM
how

Hi,
You can post garden pics here. news:alt.binaries.pictures.gardens
Smaller would help, use irfanview, its free and available here
http://www.irfanview.com/
L8R -_- how
no NEWS is good

"Lois Frye" wrote in message
news
Sorry, I didn't mean to be impolite.
I haven't been on a newsgroup for over a year.
How do I post a link?
oh well, nevermind, I'll just have to figure it out. :-)
I think I can do that.

Lois
. net...

"Lois Frye" wrote in message
My pond will be 1 year August 28th..I introduced 4 Koi the first day. No
problems.

All I need to do now, is learn how to make the pictures smaller LOL

Lois in Texas

news