Old 11-07-2004, 01:02 AM
Scott M.

Default Raccoon problem

I have just put in a beautiful Koi/goldfish pond and I'm sure that I have
lost several fish to a raccoon. Would a motion sensor that activates a
couple of spotlights scare them off or at least make it too hard to see into
the water because of glare or is there a better way.

Thank you,

Scott

Old 14-07-2004, 07:02 AM
Scott M.

My pond is 15 x 9 feet, sloping down to 3.5 feet deep. It has a plant ledge
around most of it with planst in baskets on the ledge. In the deepest
section, I have piled several large flat rocks to make a vertical column to
hold the fountain pump and to give the fish rocky ledges to hide under. The
reason I think raccoons are getting some fish is because some are missing
and some mornings I find some of the potted plants turned over. The water is
crystal clear, but I admit that there are many hiding places for the fish.

"dkat" wrote in message
et...
If I go to outbox and then send it sometimes eliminates this problem.

Now on to the real issue - what is the shape of your pond? Raccoons can't
fish in a pond that has sides that go straight down... Kingfishers on the
other hand will happily scoop up a fish the moment the fish comes to the
surface. Herons are also more adapt at getting at fish. Are you sure

your
fish are gone? Fish if bothered by a predator will hide out for some

time.
Even though raccoons can't get to my fish unless the fish swim up to them,
they can do their best to do so. I can tell a raccoon has been around
because my fish are in hiding and the lily pads that were within reach of
the edge of the pond have been ripped apart. I have been surprised at how
well and for how long they can hide out. Unless your pond is crystal

clear
and there is no shelter for them I would not give up on them yet...

speaking
of which - another good thing you can do for your fish is to give them

caves
to hide in. As I said, I have my sides going straight down. To have my
plants close enough to the surface I put storage crates upside down (these
are the ones you get that are stackable and have one side lower than the
other three...). Fish swim in and hide when threatened and it works

nicely.
"Scott M." wrote in message
Sorry for the multiple posts, but Outlook Express kept telling me that

the
message could not be sent for some reason.

Scott

Old 15-07-2004, 12:02 PM
dkat

Some people use electric fences to keep out raccoons.... If you go to
ponds.rec and do a search you will find many, many posts on the subject.
The only solution that I have known to work is the one I mentioned but that
has to be done at the creation of the pond (I suppose you could do an inner
circle of tall rock ... a pond within a pond)..

Old 27-07-2004, 03:58 AM
Norm

When I had my pond in Florida, it was a constant nuisance. I finally beat
them --- I covered the pond each night --- juts be sure to anchor it down
with rocks heavy enough so that the racs can't lift them out of the way,
lift your cover, and eat dinner. They are very clever and resourceful.

Norm

raccoon problems cr Ponds 6 16-05-2019 06:15 AM
Raccoon problem Scott M. Ponds (alternative) 0 17-07-2004 12:03 AM
Raccoon problem - multiple messages Scott M. Ponds (alternative) 1 12-07-2004 07:03 AM
new product(?)electric fencing for raccoon woes K30a Ponds 3 24-02-2003 11:10 PM
new product(?)electric fencing for raccoon woes K30a Ponds 2 24-02-2003 10:29 PM