Old 15-07-2004, 01:02 PM
Mogweed

Default Soapy water

We seem to have developed soapy water. The waterfall has been running 24/7
since December and we have no fish in the pond yet. There aren't many plants
at the moment as a friend said he would give us lots but he is off work sick
at the moment, but there are 4 oxygenators under the surface as well as what
you can see.

We had a terrible problem with blanketweed and someone recommended a
barleystraw bale which worked a treat and has been in there for about two
months. As the soapy water only appeared about a week ago I don't think it
can be down to that. And I also think it's extremely unlikely that anyone
has put detergent in there, so just what can be causing this and how do I
get rid of it?

To see what I mean, have a look he
http://www.btinternet.com/~herbie/pond.htm

Cheers,

Herbie.

Old 17-07-2004, 03:02 AM
Mogweed

"Oxymel_of_Squill" wrote in message
does it feel soapy? Is it slimey?

"Mogweed" wrote in message
We seem to have developed soapy water. The waterfall has been running

24/7
since December and we have no fish in the pond yet. There aren't many

plants

No, it doesn't feel soapy or slimey. A couple of people reckon it may be
bacterial and have recommended a water change and another poster in this
group (dkat) thought it may be caused by dirt, such as construction work
going on or runoff from the garden. The only thing along those lines is that
we've had a lot of rain and wind which has dumped stuff in the pond but
anything big enough to scoop out with a net such as leaves, have been
cleared daily.

Herbie.

Old 17-07-2004, 06:03 AM
Mogweed

"Alan" wrote in message
If its any help I have soapy bubbles on my pond too from waterfall I'm in
Southwick on
southcoast (near Brighton) but fish and plants don't seem to mind
Alan

"Mogweed" wrote in message
We seem to have developed soapy water. The waterfall has been

running
24/7
since December and we have no fish in the pond yet. There aren't

many
plants

No, it doesn't feel soapy or slimey. A couple of people reckon it may be
bacterial and have recommended a water change and another poster in this
group (dkat) thought it may be caused by dirt, such as construction work
going on or runoff from the garden. The only thing along those lines is

that
we've had a lot of rain and wind which has dumped stuff in the pond but
anything big enough to scoop out with a net such as leaves, have been
cleared daily.

Herbie.

Thanks everyone for your replies. Plenty to think about - just got to get
time to do something about it now )

Herbie.

Old 21-07-2004, 10:04 PM
IAN GARDNER

"Mogweed" wrote in message
We seem to have developed soapy water. The waterfall has been running

24/7
since December and we have no fish in the pond yet. There aren't many

plants

No, it doesn't feel soapy or slimey. A couple of people reckon it may be
bacterial and have recommended a water change and another poster in this
group (dkat) thought it may be caused by dirt, such as construction work
going on or runoff from the garden. The only thing along those lines is

that
we've had a lot of rain and wind which has dumped stuff in the pond but
anything big enough to scoop out with a net such as leaves, have been
cleared daily.

Herbie.

Don`t worry about it. Most of us get it. It`s all the breakdowns of plants
etc. I have it all the time. There may be ways of stopping it but I don`t
know of any!

--
IAN. P. GARDNER
ISLE OF WIGHT

Old 25-07-2004, 03:36 AM
Richard Brandstetter

in the fall Holly berrys fall in to my 100 gal pond and I did think there
soap in the pond but its the berrys and if i donot get the fish out they
dead..this has not happen befor 3 years ago .
Rich Brandstetter

Old 25-07-2004, 04:02 AM
Richard Brandstetter

Mogweed wrote in message ...
[...]

Soapy water on garden KK United Kingdom 14 20-06-2006 09:34 AM
Soapy water Mogweed Ponds 2 21-07-2004 06:09 AM
Soapy water Phisherman Ponds 4 17-07-2004 06:04 PM
Soapy water Mogweed Ponds (alternative) 10 15-07-2004 06:02 AM
Green fly / soapy water John Edgar United Kingdom 41 02-10-2003 02:12 PM