Old 18-07-2004, 10:02 PM
Rick

Default Pond is Looking Good But!!!

I have my pond up and running for two months now. Everything is falling
into place. The water cleared up very nicely, after I increased my
Bio-filter with some lava rock. (Some advice I got from the group) It is
now crystal clear and I can see the bottom and my three small Koi and six
goldfish with ease. I ordered a kit that had ten bushels of oxygenates,
five floaters (water lettuce), three water lilies, and six marginal and bog
plants. First problem! The marginal and bog plants where not identified ,
so I put them in at best guess. They don't seem to be doing so well. I
panted them in an aquatic plant soil from Lowes. It doesn't seam to be soil
at all but very fine gravel. I did not use any fertilizer. Do I need to ?
also the names of the plants where written in cursive and very sloppy. I
went on the net to several aquatic plant suppliers but could not fined
them. Here are the names or should I say my best guess. BLACK KIRSHT, GAR
ROSH, WHITE PICKARD, BENJAL TIGER, INPERIAL JUNO, RED STAR TULHUP, If
anybody recognizes any of these and knows how to (Water depth) plant them
Thanks. Second problem. Blanket weed or at least I think that it is. In
the past week some of the plant stems and bigger rocks develop a green halo
around them. it is very fine and if a try to grab it by hand I get almost
nothing between my fingers. The dead Blanked weed or algae floats to the
top more and more every day. I skim of what I can. It is also around the
roots of my water lettuce witch dose not look so good ,the leaves are a
little yellow and I think something is eating on them. Last question!
Snails? is it a good idea to put snails into the pond? Some people say yes
others say they just become a bother. Thanks for all your help in the past
I think I have finally found my hobby. It is just so relaxing to sit on my
porch in the morning and hear the water fall and look at all the flowers
blooming in and around the pond, it is truly Devine.

Old 20-07-2004, 04:04 AM
dkat

"Rick" wrote in message
ink.net...
[...]

The only plant I recognize is the White Pickard which I killed off after one
year (the only person that has ever done so I believe).... I suspect your
spelling is wrong on at least some of these. For example there is a cannas
called Bengal tiger . I would go to the below site and find the closest
match for those items you can and then from there find how they are to be
grown (cannas is a bog plant.... feet wet but somewhat above water). There
is also an Imperial Taro - again grown like the cannas. Black Knight? I
found that as a cannas.

http://www.anchorbayaquarium.com/pplants.html
http://ourgardengang.tripod.com/bog3.htm

The only thing I have read about blanket algae is what the other poster
said. I have never had problems with it (knock on wood). I can't keep
snails or duck weed. My fish like them too much. I have heard people claim
that snails can be a problem. I have never had one with them.

Old 23-07-2004, 01:10 AM
Rick

Thanks for your help! I think the problem with the algae is not blacked
weed but string weed. I have read a lot about the kitty litter on the other
group rec. pond and have as of today not heard of any big disasters that
have happened by those that have used it. So I just put two table spoons of
it in my pond. Wish me luck! As for the plants the ones that you seamed to
recognize I planted as bog plants the other must be the marginal will see
how they grow. Should I fertilize them and if yes with what? I have looked
in a couple stores and haven't found any aquatic fertilizer. is there any
thing else I can use? Thanks again.

"dkat" wrote in message
et...

ink.net...

Pond is looking good but! Rick Ponds 7 28-07-2004 11:04 AM
Looking at building a pond but.... daryl wilde Ponds 16 27-05-2004 12:10 AM
Looking at building a pond but.... daryl wilde Ponds (alternative) 2 26-05-2004 11:07 AM
Looking at building a pond but.... daryl wilde Ponds 0 23-05-2004 07:34 AM