Old 28-07-2004, 03:02 AM
Steve Shapson

Default Skimmer Question: Which skimmer to purchase??

I have a new pond, 25x25 ft, 24-30 in. deep, with 30 in. wide stream, 50
feet from pond, 4 ft grade. The stream is filled with mostly smaller round
stones(2-3in and a few larger(4-6in.)round stones.

Using a Sequence External Self Priming 7200 external pump.from azponds.com

Should I assume that the water running over all these stones will keep the
water clean? Does a good skimmer really help keep the water clear?

Do I need a skimmer? Size? Model? There is still surface particles and
others stuff on the surface which just floats around.

If I need a skimmer, I would prefer one that would be easily hidden and
quiet.

-new to ponds.

steve shapson

--
Steve Shapson

Old 28-07-2004, 05:14 AM
San Diego Joe

"Steve Shapson" wrote:

Should I assume that the water running over all these stones will keep the
water clean?

Nope. Stones don't clean water - bacteria does. The best way to keep water
clear is to use a veggie filter (ie: tones of plants) and don't overpopulate
your pond.

Does a good skimmer really help keep the water clear?

Well, it takes the stuff that floats on top, like leaves and such, allowing
you to dispose of them before they decay and make your water bad. It's one
piece of equipment I would consider a must have.

As to brands, ask on rec.ponds

Joe

San Diego Joe
4,000 - 5,000 Gallons.
Goldfish, a RES named Colombo and an Oscar.

Old 28-07-2004, 05:15 AM
Steve Shapson

I forgot to write that I do have lots of plants in my pond, about 40% so far
of surface is covered.

--
Steve Shapson