Old 04-08-2004, 10:54 AM
cruxaustralis

Default self powered pump/filter

During a break from digging my pond, and basking in the warm Queensland
sunshine it occured to me that I could use the hydraulic pressure of the
pond to pump/siphon water into my veggie filter. So i built a model using a
20 liter drum and it's been pumping/siphoning away like a beauty for a week.
I used a network of 12mm poly irrigation pipe in the bottom of the drum and
initially primed/siphoned the outlet line into a plastic tub, about a metre
head..with an overflow outlet back to the drum...topped up the level as it
got pumping and voila!.
A search of the web has rewarded me with no links to something similar..so
now I'm beginning to worry that I am missing something obvious in my new
found enthusiasm.
As a result I now have a niggling doubt that this will all fail when scaled
up.
Anyone have a clue that might save me from a fundamental error when the real
thing is needed?

Old 05-08-2004, 03:32 AM
Lane

"cruxaustralis" wrote in message
[...]

Not possible, defies the laws of physics.

Old 13-08-2004, 01:26 PM
Matthew Durkin

"Lostin1999" wrote in message

"Lane" lane_nospam@copperaccents_dot_com wrote in message

[...]

so do bumble bees....

however I do agree this sounds odd, but hope to see some (however crude)
diagrams of this..

Lost

Perhaps heat is causing convection currents in the setup and the rising
heated water is causing a flow.
As there's no other obvious source of energy, I can't think of any other way
you could have circulation.
You did mention it's hot. Could this be it? Is the flow of water back warm?