GardenBanter.co.uk

-   Ponds (alternative) (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds-alternative/)
-   -   keeping water level up? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds-alternative/88839-keeping-water-level-up.html)

G & K Meyer 16-01-2005 05:52 PM

keeping water level up?

Does any one have a way to keep their water feature full with out doing it
by hand? I was thinking there must be something out there that can be tied
into a water supply that would open and shut off when a the water level
reaches a set level.
I would like to put something like that on my front yard water feature that
is just a whisky barrel that pumps water up through a hand pump. But need
to fill often here in Colorado unless I can find and install a device like I
am asking for help on.
You can see the set up at
http://www.ofoto.com/I.jsp?c=65zgxlu...&x=0&y=-n2twfr
Thank you for you help I know there must be some way to do this.
--
Greg Meyer

Morten 16-01-2005 07:07 PM

"G & K Meyer" wrote in message
Does any one have a way to keep their water feature full with out doing it
by hand? I was thinking there must be something out there that can be

tied
into a water supply that would open and shut off when a the water level
reaches a set level.

A simple ball valve connected to a tap somewhere will do, just make sure to
monitor it in the event that the valve gets stuck open and floods your fron
garden...

/Morten

---

Cyril The Squirrel 21-01-2005 12:59 PM

In article ,
says...
Security was called when I asked in my local B&Q for a ball cock.

I was told afterwards that I should have asked for a rising valve assembly.
It seemed wiser to keep quiet rather than point out the obvious!
snip

A ballcock is a ballcock so the person you asked must have been a fool.
Sorry, I didn't see where you wre shopping or I'd have taken that for
granted.

Cyril The Squirrel 21-01-2005 01:07 PM

In article ,
says...

Two questions:

If I walk into a Home Depot and ask the young woman in the plumbing
section to show me a ballcock, I can only immagine the trouble I'd
cause. Is ball cock really the name for this item that the local
hardware store will know?

Do a google on ballcock and you see that you should have nothing to
worry about when asking for it by name.

Two: For those of us that have city water that must be treated
(decho) of what good is a refill of the garden hose? Seems as tho
some kind of seperate tank must be employed.

It depends what you put in the water and how much water you expect to
top up.

I regularly use a hose and rarely add anything unless I'm adding a lot
of water.

I can't remember ever adding more than an inch to the top of 48 inches
of pond depth. Remember the ballcock isn't going to put more than a
trickle into your pond unless you have a really major problem. Under
normal condition you'll be adding a little to a lot.

snip