Old 31-01-2005, 04:00 PM

Default Outdoor fish pond heater

I just bought a house with an outdoor goldfish/koi pond in September.
The owners left me a low-watt dome-shaped heater but it is completely
frozen in the ice. It has power but should I assume that it is broken
and buy a new one or are there limits to the kind of temperatures and
ice thickness they can withstand (I live in Chicago)? I don't want to
spend $60 on a new heater only to have the same problem. Does anyone
have any suggestions?

Thanks,
Dave

--
Dave Smith
Dave Smith's Profile: http://www.gardenerforums.com/member.php?userid=2

Old 12-02-2005, 01:29 PM
bseddon

1. If the pond stays frozen too long, all the fish will die so getting
a hole in the ice is imperative! A pot of boiling water set on top of
the ice should thaw a hole if you haven't waited to long. Remember it's
the gases held under the ice that kill the fish, not the cold.
2. I use a livestock heater designed to keep water troughs from
freezing. Works beautifully. It's awesome to go out in the middle of
the winter and see the fish swimming about....especially when the snow
is piled high around the pond...

Old 28-02-2005, 07:40 PM
me

Just be careful of the wattage on those things, your hydro will go throught
the roof. Build a greenhouse to go over it, it is cheaper.
oups.com...