Old 01-04-2005, 03:01 AM
Rick

Default Spring cleaning the pond

Do all you longtime ponders do a spring cleaning in your pond and if yes how
do you do it.. I have just made it thru my first winter with my 1200 gal
pond and everything seems OK. My three Koi and 6 gold fish are looking
good. I started to feed the fish this week and the pump is back on.

I do have a thick layer of algae on the liner, rocks and plants. I am
worried that it will stun the growth of my plants that are showing signs of
live. I got the old pondbrush out and scrubbed a spot. Didn't get far,
thought stuff.

I also have some small gravel in the bottom, is this a good idea or not? It
seams to collect sediment and you really can't see the gravel anymore.

Thank you for your help.

Old 02-04-2005, 07:29 PM
Two and a Half

Hi

I have had a pond now for three years and started a complete novice. Somehow
I needn't have been worried the pond seems to always take care of itself. To
get rid of the green algae just use the end of the pair of women's tights,
cut off the end so you have about a foot in length put a few small stones in
and stuff the rest with barley straw and thumb knot the top and put it in
the deepest part of your pond. As the straw rots it give off some kind of
enzyme that keeps the algae under control, I've got two in mine and they
work fine. I only have goldfish in my pond and I don't know what effect it
could have on your koi, so it might be an idea to check first.

As regards gravel this is ok but remember if you have a liner in your pond
and need to wade into it at some point, the effect of your weight on the
gravel, if its sharp, could puncture the liner... so be careful. I have used
rounded pebbles.

Take a look at a magazine called the essential water gardener it has a
complete section on keeping koi... its really interesting as later this year
I will be take out my pond to build a purpose built Koi pond.... we'll see
what happens.

Craig

nk.net...

Old 03-04-2005, 02:35 AM
Rick

"Two and a Half" wrote in message
[...]

Is there a good place to get barley straw . Where do you get yours?

Thanks

nk.net...

Old 03-04-2005, 08:37 AM
Two and a Half

Rick

Any pet store would have the stuff.. its quite cheap people use it as
bedding for their rabbits!

Craig

"Rick" wrote in message
k.net...

[...]