Old 27-04-2005, 05:13 PM
Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk

Default Shovelnose Sturgeon & Koi

Hi All.
We have been offered a 2' (approx) Sturgeon as it's outgrown current
owners pond - We have plenty of room in our pond about 8' x 5' (approx)
currently with 6 x 8" - 10" koi, a couple of small tench and a couple of
small rudd + assorted "tiddles" mostly rudd offspring I would guess.

Anyway, Space permitting, will they all live happilly together? The
sturgeon is currently in with small koi and the current owner says they
feed on assorted "crap" at the bottom of the pond.

Is there any specific care needed for these fish?

TIA

Pete
http://gymratz.co.uk/hot-seat.htm - Live web-cam! (sometimes)
Old 28-04-2005, 10:50 AM
Andy

Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk wrote:
Hi All.
We have been offered a 2' (approx) Sturgeon as it's outgrown current
owners pond - We have plenty of room in our pond about 8' x 5' (approx)
currently with 6 x 8" - 10" koi, a couple of small tench and a couple of
small rudd + assorted "tiddles" mostly rudd offspring I would guess.

Anyway, Space permitting, will they all live happilly together? The
sturgeon is currently in with small koi and the current owner says they
feed on assorted "crap" at the bottom of the pond.

Is there any specific care needed for these fish?

I came across this site recently...

http://www.sturgeon-web.co.uk/

--
Andy
Old 17-05-2005, 05:44 PM
Registered User

Location: plymouth, england

well mate i dunno much about them in ponds but in the wild they grow massive, alot bigger than me or you so be carefull and they do eat fish as part of a normal diet. so you may see your small fish dissapear. you may or may not know that sturgeon are the fish that produce caviar.

i dont recomend getting one that big, just turn it upside down and look at its mouth, as wierd as it may look it can eat a small fish
Old 27-05-2005, 04:11 PM
Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk

matt wrote:
well mate i dunno much about them in ponds but in the wild they grow
massive, alot bigger than me or you so be carefull and they do eat fish
as part of a normal diet. so you may see your small fish dissapear. you
may or may not know that sturgeon are the fish that produce caviar.

i dont recomend getting one that big, just turn it upside down and look
at its mouth, as wierd as it may look it can eat a small fish

That'd be alright then as we have an abundace of Rudd from of all sizes
from a pair of frantic breeders.

:¬)

http://gymratz.co.uk/hot-seat.htm - Live web-cam! (sometimes)

Shovelnose sturgeons Moontanman Freshwater Aquaria Plants 2 18-07-2003 10:14 AM
Shovelnose sturgeons Moontanman Freshwater Aquaria Plants 2 23-05-2003 10:44 PM
Shovelnose sturgeons Moontanman Ponds 0 23-05-2003 05:08 PM
Sturgeon Pat Keith Ponds 4 06-05-2003 02:22 AM
Suit notification to protect green sturgeon Daniel B. Wheeler alt.forestry 0 23-02-2003 12:56 AM