Old 02-05-2005, 11:41 PM
john huddleston

Default pump suggestions

Today I have started building my second pond.
old pond was 5`*2`*2`
New pond is going to be 8`*6`*4`

Anyways, I`m doing a homemade filter consisting of settlement tank, foam and
plant filter boxes but I need a pump. I have a relative who works at
hozelock who can get me a good discount. I`m currently thinking of the titan
(it looks very nice) so has anyone got any recommendations/warnings for the
hozelock pumps?
http://www.hozelock.com/aquatics/I049.asp?region=ROW

Old 03-05-2005, 10:15 PM
MikeB

On 02/05/2005 "john huddleston" wrote:
Today I have started building my second pond.
old pond was 5`*2`*2`
New pond is going to be 8`*6`*4`

Anyways, I`m doing a homemade filter consisting of settlement tank, foam and
plant filter boxes but I need a pump. I have a relative who works at
hozelock who can get me a good discount. I`m currently thinking of the titan
(it looks very nice) so has anyone got any recommendations/warnings for the
hozelock pumps?
http://www.hozelock.com/aquatics/I049.asp?region=ROW

Actually I bought a Titan 5500 a week ago and the pond water which last week
stopped you seeing anything is now clear enough to see the bottom. Since with
the intakes on the pump fully open it can pass solids up to 8 mm. it has
sucked all the sediment from the bottom of the pond and it has been then
removed by the foam in the filter. The drawback being that for the first few
days I was washing the foam about 3 times a day! It now needs cleaning every
other day and I would estimate that give it another week or so, once a week
will be sufficient. I have used 40 mm. hose to the filter as recommended and
the flow rate is impressive even though I have a 9 M. run. I am by the way
using a Hoselock Ecocel 9000 filter which is the correct size for this pump
according to Hozelock. The water on leaving the filter then goes into a small
pond, from there down a smallish waterfall, along a stream about 6 feet and
down another waterfall into the main pond. The flow now being sufficient that
they are waterfalls instead of a rather feeble trickle as with my previous
pump. The other attraction of the 5500 is that the intakes can be closed down
to 2 mm. if/when you have fry or tadpoles in the pond. The smaller Titans
only open up to 4 mm. not the 8 mm. of the 5500 and above. I know I have not
had it long enough to say anything about it's long term reliability but so far
I am very pleased with it.

MikeB

Possible burned out pump? New pump suggestions... GoldLexus Ponds 8 25-06-2006 10:32 PM
Suggestions for a pump / filter for 1/2 whiskey barrel Roy Ponds 3 22-08-2004 08:44 PM
New pump suggestions? Low GPH.... Rob Ponds 1 30-06-2004 10:03 AM
Pump suggestions Steve Ponds 3 28-05-2003 07:08 AM
External pump housing suggestions Don Lasko Ponds 1 12-02-2003 12:25 PM