Old 19-03-2007, 02:44 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default spring work ~ what do you need to do this year?

wrote in message ...
I already wrote about our bog projects under
frog experiment.

We are blessed with a lovely weekend so we
got our spring pond stuff done really early
this year.

Besides fertilizing lilies and getting the waterfall
running we took out our second island.
(I have the remodeling bug with my pond.)
Our islands are built out of builder's block
and an oil filter type planter on top. Didn't like
how it worked with mini cattails so took it out
all together.
We trimmed up the first island which is full of
yellow iris. Can't wait to see it bloom.
I removed a marsh marigold out of the old
blog and brought it up to the deck. Full of buds
and I bet it starts blooming tomorrow.

We also sat and talked about what kind of set
up we would do when we sell this house (down
the road) and build another pond.
===================
We have to drain down both ponds to remove last summer's fry. They bred
into mid summer so the ponds are loaded with young fish. A few adults will
probably be culled out to make space as they all grow. The larger the koi
the less the ponds can hold. All look good, all look healthy and all are
eating. There are no signs of disease or health problems.

Some water lilies need dividing which will be done soon, before they really
start to take off.

That's about it for this spring.
--
RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

AOL at AOL.com.

Old 19-03-2007, 06:10 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Worked on the lily pond today. In the past I would drain it out completely
and suck the muck out and refill. I found that not only was it a great
waste of water, but then I had pH problems and getting the water balanced
again. So today I used the shop vac on the bottom and shelves. While it
drained I trimmed dead stuff off the marginals.

Many of the plants will need dividing, hopefully not too many of the lilies
this year.

The main goal is to get a barrel filter connected, which requires ordering
the parts and digging a BIG hole for it. It will only be a 2 barrel filter,
rather than 4 like the koi ponds.

I'll also have to trim the fish load in the koi ponds that I've yet to take
the screens off of and start the filter. I was hoping to do that this
weekend, but they're predicting cooler temps again mid-week, so maybe next
weekend.

Marsh Marigold also about to burst into bloom. :-) ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State

Old 21-03-2007, 02:26 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Finish digging & building it! I only got down a foot last year, 2 more to go.
Pond will be about 10x12, block walls extending 2 courses above ground, total
depth around 4 1/2ft. It'll have a liner. I'll buy the bottom drain, and
probably the skimmer. All filtration will be DIY, probably 5 gallon drums. I'm
thinking about getting a 200 gallon cone-bottom tank for a settlement chamber.
I'm HOPING to have water in it by late fall, and fish next year.
Retired Shop Rat: 14,647 days in a GM plant.
Now I can do what I enjoy: Large Format Photography

Web Site: www.destarr.com

Rate This Thread:

[IMG] code is On

Work, Work, Work Hud Edible Gardening 21 10-05-2007 12:23 AM
spring work ~ what do you need to do this year? drsolo Ponds (moderated) 1 20-03-2007 04:03 AM
starting spring work kathy Ponds 6 13-03-2005 08:46 PM
spring pond work Ka30P Ponds 30 09-03-2004 04:13 AM
spring pond work Ka30P Ponds 0 07-03-2004 11:19 PM