Old 21-03-2007, 04:20 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Ponds and guns

Really. I'm not as mobile as I used to be so it makes sense for me to
do my weeding largely from one spot. I sit on the bank of my pond and
shoot at weeds on the other sides. What I use is a fairly inexpensive
air gun, well, actually several of them. I use pellets from England
that are non-toxic and not made of lead at all, I think they are sold
in the US now as "Logan Penetrators," but at the time the only place I
could find suitable non-toxic ammo was overseas, and shipping pellets
isn't the cheapest. I prefer the .22 to the .177 size as the .22
takes out more weed than the .177, which isn't all that surprising,
the .22 is bigger and has more mass. I also nail the occasional wasp.
Butterflies and dragonflies are safe however, I just can't bring
myself to shoot at them, even though there are a bunch of them. One
note of caution. Sometimes the pellets will ricochet off the surface
of the pond and head in directions that are unintended. They won't
fly back and hit the shooter, but it isn't a really smart thing to do
anywhere a stray pellet could do some damage. In my case, there
simply isn't anything or anyone for hundreds of yards, so I'm not very
concerned about the occasional ricochet. Firearm ammunition I
suspect would be prohibitively expensive, if non-toxic ammo even
exists, and I doubt that kind of power would be necessary or even
desirable.
--
Galen Hekhuis
Illiterate? Write for FREE help

Old 21-03-2007, 06:31 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Galen Hekhuis wrote:
[...]

This is a first for me ???????

Old 21-03-2007, 06:57 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"©anadian Ponder" " wrote in message
.com...
Galen Hekhuis wrote:
[...]

I never heard of "weeding" with a gun either. I would like to see how it's
done. I hand pull them around the ponds. Everywere else I use a spray like
RoundUp.
--
RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.