Old 22-03-2007, 01:08 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Pond Plans for this Year

Hi All,

This year we plan to just do a Spring cleanup and then enjoy the pond. After the cleanup, I'll need a rest!
The veggie filter may get different plants this Spring. I like the look of pickrel rush or iris for the little veggie filter. I'm getting tired of trimming the water celery and have decided to try something that doesn't spread quite so easily.

Bonnie
NJ
Old 22-03-2007, 03:59 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Bonnie NJ" wrote in message
Hi All,

This year we plan to just do a Spring cleanup and then enjoy the pond.
After the cleanup, I'll need a rest!
The veggie filter may get different plants this Spring. I like the look of
pickrel rush or iris for the little veggie filter. I'm getting tired of
trimming the water celery and have decided to try something that doesn't
spread quite so easily.

Bonnie
NJ
In our experience both Pickerel and those tall yellow iris are fully capable
of taking over a veggie filter/settling tank in one season. Our entire 40g
veg filter was a solid mass of pickerel and parrots feather last fall. I
skipped the iris. It took the two of us to haul them out of there to drain
and clean the tank for winter.
--
RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.