Old 19-03-2007, 07:32 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default KOI $$$

No, its the stores ability to gouge you more. I f your gonna spend
serious money for a koi, its not gonna be found at the usually water
garden supply or petsmart. The majority there are culls or just run of
the mill fish.......If your looking for high quality koi go to a
breeder or a koi show as usually all shows will have a few tanks of
fish of various sizes available to buy. Unless you really know your
koi and what to look for and have the desire and intent to show it in
competition, odds are a koi that catches your eye in petsmart for $5.
will be just as nice to its owner as one they paid $50 for. And
loosing that fish to sickness or predators is a lot easier to swallow
than that $50 or more fish would be, HOw about that dude in Florida,
that had the GC koi of year before last or may be it was last. Cost
him $50Grand at thre pond, plus a trip to Japan to view and pay for
it, plus shiping home, and this year it kicked the bucket due to a
cancerous growth......IIRC it was called the Sarge fish.....Then
againa I guess a $50,000+ fish to that fella was like loosing a $5
petco fish to most of us......

Folks thast let the koi breed and then sell the fry like some do on
this group do not have what is deemed top quality koi. They are simply
koi fish form Wally World etc, and nothing specific or special in
colors or patterns.....How many of us are that knowedgeable in that
field and really know what to llok for. If we did we would not be
buying koi at Petco etc or most garden centers......The same persons
selling those baby fry to garden centers and LFS are only pushing
common run of the mill fish, and most are certianly not worth much
more than 4 or 5 bucks in the 4 to 6 inch size range. You can buy
quality koi form a numbe rof well known koi breeders that put garden
center koi and petshop koi to shame.........and a lot can be had for
$30-50 bucks or so......Certainly no one thinks that Petco etc sells
high quality koi........yea to most of us there are some pretty fish,
but to a koi entusiast, they would not get a second glance......Now
ask your self do you really need high end expensive koi? Odds are no
one is gonna know the difference between the high ends or mutts
anyhow....except for entusiasts who are really into showing their fish
and a judge or dedicated breeder.......

I would stay away from any places that keep goldies and koi in the
same tanks or ponds. They cross breed and you wind up with a mutt. It
costs the same to buy the mutt as a pure bred run of the mill koi. It
costs the same to feed them a well.......and when those cross breeds
get older its easy to see their mutts, sometimes its easy to see
their mutts when small too.

year.....On Mon, 19 Mar 2007 11:57:24 CST, ©anadian Ponder "
wrote:

Hello,

why can I buy koi at petsmart for under $10 and if I go to a pond store
they charge me over $50.

Does this have to do with pure breeds and mixed breeds ?

-------

Rate This Thread: