Old 23-03-2007, 02:44 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default How Old is your Pond ?

My little pond turns 27 this spring. When it developed a big crack this
winter i sent my fish to my friend Jan's pond in Galveston for the winter.If they
survive all the shore birds that come to her pond for a drink of water I'll
bring them back home after the concrete patch cures
I'm curious to see how some of the liner ponds will do now that they have
been around 20 years
Don't some of the liners state a 20 year life time ?

TerryinTexas
_Album: Thurmond HO Scale_
(http://www.imagestation.com/album/pi...?id=2107131162)

Old 23-03-2007, 05:04 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

wrote in message
My little pond turns 27 this spring. When it developed a big crack this
winter i sent my fish to my friend Jan's pond in Galveston for the winter.If
they survive all the shore birds that come to her pond for a drink of water
I'll bring them back home after the concrete patch cures
I'm curious to see how some of the liner ponds will do now that they have
been around 20 years
Don't some of the liners state a 20 year life time ?
=========================
We put the first liner pond in in the summer of 1996. It's a 60 mil Tetra
rubber liner and it's still in excellent condition. The summer before that
I made a small pond from a kiddy pool. I enjoyed that small pond so much I
started digging...... :-)
--
RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 23-03-2007, 08:28 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

In article ,
"Reel McKoi" wrote:

wrote in message
My little pond turns 27 this spring. When it developed a big crack this
winter i sent my fish to my friend Jan's pond in Galveston for the winter.If
they survive all the shore birds that come to her pond for a drink of water
I'll bring them back home after the concrete patch cures
I'm curious to see how some of the liner ponds will do now that they have
been around 20 years
Don't some of the liners state a 20 year life time ?
=========================
We put the first liner pond in in the summer of 1996. It's a 60 mil Tetra
rubber liner and it's still in excellent condition. The summer before that
I made a small pond from a kiddy pool. I enjoyed that small pond so much I
started digging...... :-)

Don't buy the thinner Home Depot Liner, Go for the professional thicker
grade. Also get the padded liner for underneath.

Old 23-03-2007, 08:48 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Kurt" wrote in message
In article ,
"Reel McKoi" wrote:

wrote in message
[...]

============================
I agree. Our in-ground liners are from Tetra and we used heavy cardboard,
old carpeting and quilts to line the holes. Make sure all carpet tacks or
staples are removed. The Home Depot liner is used to line the above ground
fry tanks which are now 720g each.

--
RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 24-03-2007, 02:02 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

In article ,
"Reel McKoi" wrote:

"Kurt" wrote in message
In article ,
"Reel McKoi" wrote:

wrote in message
[...]

I got material from my pond supply that is much more pliable than old
carpet, cuts easily and is cheap (though free is even better)

Old 24-03-2007, 06:20 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Kurt wrote:

Don't buy the thinner Home Depot Liner, Go for the professional thicker
grade. Also get the padded liner for underneath.

That depends on your soil as much as anything. My first liner pond was
installed in sandy soil where the only thing I ever found with a sharp edge
was a broken old drain tile. Most people have to contend with rocks & tree
roots, though.
--
derek

Old 24-03-2007, 08:27 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

In article ,
Derek Broughton wrote:

Kurt wrote:

Don't buy the thinner Home Depot Liner, Go for the professional thicker
grade. Also get the padded liner for underneath.

That depends on your soil as much as anything. My first liner pond was
installed in sandy soil where the only thing I ever found with a sharp edge
was a broken old drain tile. Most people have to contend with rocks & tree
roots, though.

But I also figure, you want to do the project once, and have it work for
years. If you are planning to keep the pond for a long time, the extra
expense of thicker liner is well worth the money. Not to mention it's
all the same labor to build the pond, and if you are paying someone to
build it for you, even more reason.

Rate This Thread: