Old 27-03-2007, 04:10 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Lilies pushing leaves.

RPM has got under way just in time for spring life in our pond!

Our lilies have just begun to send upo their new leaves for the
season. The water also has come above 50 degrees so we will start
feeding the koi shortly.

I guess the algae will also be working on getting going!

Our hyacinth that were left exposed have suffered complete
anihilation. Those we kept under translucent plastic have seen very
little attrition.

Come on, Spring.

Jim

Old 27-03-2007, 06:27 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Phyllis and Jim" wrote in message
oups.com...
Our hyacinth that were left exposed have suffered complete
anihilation. Those we kept under translucent plastic have seen very
little attrition.

=================
Can you elaborate on keeping them under translucent plastic? Did you encase
the entire tub or pond in plastic like a greenhouse? Did that keep the
atmosphere above the water above freezing? The answer may be very helpful
to others who would like to try keeping them over.

I kept over some water lettuce, but they were in a heated greenhouse. I also
keep some over in an aquarium in my sunroom.
--
RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 27-03-2007, 12:01 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Over the years we have noticed that they die when their growth bud
actually freezes. They survive (poorly) in freezing water.

We have a 4 x 8 veggie filter pond on our berm. We use on-end cinder
blocks as end supports and run a 2 x 6 the length of the filter pond.
The 2 x 6 sticks into the open cells of the cinderblocks and is the
ridgepole of our 'tent'. We put a clear/translucent plastic sheet
over the frame and close the ends. That gives us a closed, tented,
well lit area over the hyacinth. When the outside temp is cold enough
to freeze the pond, the atmosphere in there is slightly warmed by the
32 degree water flow, so we have little or no ice forming under the
tent. Most of the hyacinth survive. Those exposed directly to the
atmosphere, i.e. floating out in the open, freeze and die.

Jim

Old 27-03-2007, 02:31 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Reel McKoi wrote:

"Phyllis and Jim" wrote in message
oups.com...
Our hyacinth that were left exposed have suffered complete
anihilation. Those we kept under translucent plastic have seen very
little attrition.

=================
Can you elaborate on keeping them under translucent plastic?

Please answer me. I want to feel part of the group.
RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.
rec.ponder since late 1996.
My Pond & Aquarium Pages:
http://tinyurl.com/9do58
Zone 6. Middle TN USA
ISP: Hughes.net
~~~~ }((((* ~~~ }{{{{(ö

Old 27-03-2007, 03:51 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Phyllis and Jim" wrote in message
oups.com...
Over the years we have noticed that they die when their growth bud
actually freezes. They survive (poorly) in freezing water.

We have a 4 x 8 veggie filter pond on our berm. We use on-end cinder
blocks as end supports and run a 2 x 6 the length of the filter pond.
The 2 x 6 sticks into the open cells of the cinderblocks and is the
ridgepole of our 'tent'. We put a clear/translucent plastic sheet
over the frame and close the ends. That gives us a closed, tented,
well lit area over the hyacinth. When the outside temp is cold enough
to freeze the pond, the atmosphere in there is slightly warmed by the
32 degree water flow, so we have little or no ice forming under the
tent. Most of the hyacinth survive. Those exposed directly to the
atmosphere, i.e. floating out in the open, freeze and die.

============================
Thanks Jim. I think I may give this a try next winter since I also have a
veggie filter/settling tank. It also occurred to me, after reading your
message, that I can cover one of the grow-out tubs in plastic sheeting.
It's worth a try! :-)
--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 27-03-2007, 05:02 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

In article ,
"Reel McKoi" wrote:

"Phyllis and Jim" wrote in message
oups.com...
Our hyacinth that were left exposed have suffered complete
anihilation. Those we kept under translucent plastic have seen very
little attrition.

=================
Can you elaborate on keeping them under translucent plastic? Did you encase
the entire tub or pond in plastic like a greenhouse? Did that keep the
atmosphere above the water above freezing? The answer may be very helpful
to others who would like to try keeping them over.

I kept over some water lettuce, but they were in a heated greenhouse. I also
keep some over in an aquarium in my sunroom.

I live in a very temperate climate (So. Cal, Ventura, CA) and though we
never have freezing temps, my hyacinth all pretty much die out this time
of year. A few bits remain. I usually add a few once the season gets
going.

Old 27-03-2007, 05:42 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Kurt" wrote in message

I live in a very temperate climate (So. Cal, Ventura, CA) and though we
never have freezing temps, my hyacinth all pretty much die out this time
of year. A few bits remain. I usually add a few once the season gets
going.

====================
Check them for MITES. I found I was losing them also,.... then checked them
real close with a magnifying glass. There were tiny mites all around the
center that were very hard to see. Washing them off with hot water really
helped but you have to keep doing it. They're getting expensive enough here
to where I'm going to make a real effort to keep some over next winter.
--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 27-03-2007, 10:57 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

The winter sees ours go dormant. The old leaves die off but the core
hangs on and grows in the spring. When the core is dead, it rots. If
it is alive, you can tell its firmness. The winter darkness and cold
seem to combine.

Kurt, how many of your make it through the winter? I reckon that
50-70% of our make it...and lose their old leaves. I strip them off
in the spring to reduce the amount of organic dead stuff in the pond.

Jim

Jim

Rate This Thread: