Old 28-03-2007, 01:49 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default sitting out by the pond

well we had a couple 80o days up here in the frozen tundra, now we are back
to the 50's. but I got to sit by the pond at night, watch the fish side lit
by the light and slowly lazily swim by. the pond was pea soup green and I
put the bucket filter in and it cleared up pretty fast, 2 days. First day I
used polyester batting, had to pull that out and dump it as it was loaded,
next day I put in netting, stiffer filter material and I can tell the stuff
is in there I am going to have to drag it in to rinse it off. I am still
waiting on the 100' of 3/4 tubing to try to make a cold water filter. the
ammonia level is there. I think "they" are spawning cause I have seen some
of that "salmon up the waterfall" nonsense and "shimmy release the eggs"
replicated in the area where the water from the pump is pouring down into
the pond. They are begging for food so I been giving them the daphnia and
krill. they go nuts. everyone looks good and swimming well, the pH seems to
be below 7. will need a water change soon I guess. the plastic is off the
pond, the heater is off so the temp may drop from the 68oF it was. it was a
nice while it lasted. I really do have to get a greenhouse up over this so
I can extend my season with the pond. Ingrid

Old 28-03-2007, 02:26 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"drsolo" wrote:
well we had a couple 80o days up here in the frozen tundra, now we are
back to the 50's. but I got to sit by the pond at night, watch the fish
side lit by the light and slowly lazily swim by. [ . . . ]

Sitting by the pond, watching the fish, in the evening with a good cigar
and a nice brandy is great. I miss my fish, but still enjoy sitting outside
in the evening with a a good friend, a good cigar and a nice brandy. Those
late departed fish will contribute to some wonderful guavas this year.
sigh

~Semper Fi~

Old 28-03-2007, 08:05 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

This weekend, I started up the big pump and opened the 2nd chamber on the
filter. The water fall is going, but both the stream and upper pond are
still screened to catch the stuff falling from the big maple (that is soon
to be removed, but not soon enough). The lower pond, w/skimmer, the screen
is off. Fish look good, water looks good, though I should do some water
checks this weekend. Motion sprinkler & baby monitor turned on. Water temp
was 52F has fallen to 49.8, so not bad after one 32F night. Hopefully temps
will stay up, suppose to be more seasonable the rest of the week. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State

Old 28-03-2007, 08:09 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Hi Nick! Nice to have you here.

Jim

Old 28-03-2007, 12:43 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Phyllis and Jim" wrote:
Hi Nick! Nice to have you here.

Thanks Jim. It's kinda sad for me, with my fish having died. I dunno what
to do to keep my pond from turning into a mosquito farm..

~Semper Fi~

Old 28-03-2007, 04:47 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Nick,

I forgot what happened to your fish.

Any chance of putting mosquito fish in? That is what we did in our
farm pond...to prevent mosquitos until we get our bluegills in.

Jim

Old 28-03-2007, 05:22 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Nick Cramer" wrote in message
"Phyllis and Jim" wrote:
Hi Nick! Nice to have you here.

Thanks Jim. It's kinda sad for me, with my fish having died. I dunno what
to do to keep my pond from turning into a mosquito farm..

==============================
A few dozen inexpensive rosy reds or goldfish should take care of that
problem.
--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 28-03-2007, 05:36 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Henry & Carolyn" wrote in message
What exactly is a "bucket" filter? Do you just put a bucket with filter
material in the pond, or is there a pump attached to it?

======================
Our bucket filters are made in a few minutes. I wrap plastic window screen
around the pump and set in on the bottom of the bucket. Then it's covered
with assorted filtering material held down by a few rocks. The whole thing
is set down into the water. Unfortunately with the spring algae they need
rinsing every few days. The water is pumped up into large biological
filters with more filtering material. They seldom need cleaning.
--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 28-03-2007, 07:55 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Phyllis and Jim" wrote:
Hi Nick! Nice to have you here.

Thanks Jim. It's kinda sad for me, with my fish having died. I dunno what
to do to keep my pond from turning into a mosquito farm..

==============================
A few dozen inexpensive rosy reds or goldfish should take care of that
problem.

My experience is that goldfish don't want to eat mosquito larvae if
there is anything else to eat. Don't know what area you live in but our
county provides free mosquitofish for anyone who asks.

Old 28-03-2007, 08:10 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Nick Cramer wrote:

Sitting by the pond, watching the fish, in the evening with a good cigar
and a nice brandy is great. I miss my fish, but still enjoy sitting outside
in the evening with a a good friend, a good cigar and a nice brandy. Those
late departed fish will contribute to some wonderful guavas this year.
sigh

Sounds idyllic to me....I can't wait until we get the pond under
construction - listening to the water feature thingy isn't quite the
same although it's what I've had to make do with for quite a few years
since filling in the old pond once the little one started
toddling....think I'd skip the cigar personally tho ;-)

Have you made any progress on the clean up yet? Hopefully you will be
able to get some more fishy buddies again soon....

Gill

Old 28-03-2007, 08:28 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

a 5 gallon bucket with the pump (hose goes out to the veggie filter
normally, now it just points back into the pond) in the bottom and various
filter material pushed down on top and then the handle has a rope that I
loop over a screw on the side of the pond so I can haul it out. Ingrid

Old 28-03-2007, 08:56 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Kurt" wrote in message

"Phyllis and Jim" wrote:
Hi Nick! Nice to have you here.

Thanks Jim. It's kinda sad for me, with my fish having died. I dunno
what
to do to keep my pond from turning into a mosquito farm..

==============================
A few dozen inexpensive rosy reds or goldfish should take care of that
problem.

My experience is that goldfish don't want to eat mosquito larvae if
there is anything else to eat. Don't know what area you live in but our
county provides free mosquitofish for anyone who asks.

=================================
I'm in middle TN. My experience is that anything with either goldfish or
rosy reds has been free of mosquito larvae. :-) YMMV.
--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 29-03-2007, 12:29 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Phyllis and Jim" wrote:
Nick,

I forgot what happened to your fish.

Any chance of putting mosquito fish in? That is what we did in our
farm pond...to prevent mosquitos until we get our bluegills in.

[ . . . ]

Mosquito fish are cheap enough, but the one year I had them, they didn't
make it through the winter (North Hollywood CA). I think I'd have to drain
the pond to get rid of any remaining termite extermination spray first.
Thanks.

~Semper Fi~

Old 29-03-2007, 12:36 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Gill Passman wrote:
Nick Cramer wrote:
[ . . . ]
Have you made any progress on the clean up yet? Hopefully you will be
able to get some more fishy buddies again soon....

Well, at least I've started thinking about it. ;-/

~Semper Fi~

Rate This Thread: