Old 29-03-2007, 08:28 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default About toads

Ha! You want toads? I can give you toads! All the Fowler's Toads
you
want - but then you won't get any sleep! Instead of the musical trill
of
the American Toad, Fowler's Toad sounds like a cricket on crack:
http://www.state.tn.us/twra/frogs.html
Scroll down near the bottom to play a .wav sound file of these sleep
destroyers. I'll send them to you in a heartbeat!
Happy Ponding,

The Bufo Americanus or American Toad we have in Middle Georgia sounds
more like this "advertisement call":
http://animaldiversity.ummz.umich.ed...frogCalls.html
You can have all you want of those too, so now you have a choice.

My wife complains a bit the first night of mating. I sleep through
it.

Regards,

Hal

Old 29-03-2007, 04:13 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Hal,

Your post educated me. For years we have had toads 'sing us to sleep'
in the spring and summer. To Jim and to me they were just toads. Jim
describes them as sounding like crickets on speed. Now we know them
as Fowler's toads. For months each summer, that is the night sound of
our pond. Some nights (lower temp?) they are quiet. Mostly, they
advertise.
Phyllis

Old 29-03-2007, 04:50 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Lar Lar is offline

Hal wrote:
Ha! You want toads? I can give you toads! All the Fowler's Toads
you
want - but then you won't get any sleep! Instead of the musical trill
of
the American Toad, Fowler's Toad sounds like a cricket on crack:

LOL...we have always had a toad that had hung out around the patio
catching insects attracted to the light. Then the pond came and the
first night of completion he was on it's edge singing away, ahhhhhhh.
Then the second night came he was joined by a few buds and they were
apparently starting their own singing group in need of much practice.
Night three I counted 11 males competing for 3 females and was really
expecting the neighbors to start calling about the noise coming from the
back yard. Last Summer was year two for the pond and more times than not
there was a male singing away and would be more noticeable on the nights
when there was no noise from the backyard.

Lar

Old 29-03-2007, 06:02 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 08:50:01 CST, Lar wrote:

LOL...we have always had a toad that had hung out around the patio
catching insects attracted to the light. Then the pond came and the
first night of completion he was on it's edge singing away, ahhhhhhh.
Then the second night came he was joined by a few buds and they were
apparently starting their own singing group in need of much practice.
Night three I counted 11 males competing for 3 females and was really
expecting the neighbors to start calling about the noise coming from the
back yard. Last Summer was year two for the pond and more times than not
there was a male singing away and would be more noticeable on the nights
when there was no noise from the backyard.

Lar

Here I have tree-frogs, the majority of neighbors love the sound.
Unfortunately I have young non-naturalists living next to me. They (I
assume) turned me into the city, I got a nasty letter about my "pets". I
canvassed the neighborhood with a letter explaining the situation and
shaming whoever turned me in without notifying me (even anonymously). Then
I gave my e-mail address. I got 12-15 out of 18 letters positive responses
so that kind of narrowed down who the anonymous people were... and last
year they E-ed when it got too loud. I now try to catch as many males as I
can each night... which means there is always a couple out there. We'll see
this year if that keeps the neighbors QUIET!. ;-) ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State

Old 29-03-2007, 07:13 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

I so love the amphibians! They are such marvelous
feats of metamorphosis engineering. And great for classrooms in the
spring.

My youngest son's second grade teacher brought
in buckets of tree frog eggs, tadpoles and canoodling
frogs. They had taken over her parent's pool cover
and were raising an unholy racket.

I went in early with young son and we helped divide up
the spoils with the other teachers. I put together a fact
and care sheet for the teachers and a plan for the
eventual froglets.

My son, and the other teacher's children, spent their
time chasing down escaping frogs who were attempting
to make a break for it down the hallways. The janitor stood
by in stoic resignation - elementary janitors are unsung heroes in the
school world.
k :-)

Old 30-03-2007, 02:03 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

In , on 03/29/07
at 12:28 AM, Hal said:

Ha! You want toads? I can give you toads! All the Fowler's Toads you
want - but then you won't get any sleep! Instead of the musical trill of
the American Toad, Fowler's Toad sounds like a cricket on crack:
http://www.state.tn.us/twra/frogs.html
Scroll down near the bottom to play a .wav sound file of these sleep
destroyers. I'll send them to you in a heartbeat!
Happy Ponding,

The Bufo Americanus or American Toad we have in Middle Georgia sounds
more like this "advertisement call":
http://animaldiversity.ummz.umich.ed...frogCalls.html You can
have all you want of those too, so now you have a choice.

Sorry I can't take those. American toads are the native species here.
But thanks for the offer.

Alan

Posted using registered MR/2 ICE Newsreader #564 and eComStation 1.21

Old 31-03-2007, 01:28 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

In , on 03/30/07
at 09:10 AM, Hal said:

I'm just grateful to have common sounds at my pond.

I'd like those. If anyone in the Baltimor area has an overabundance of
toads or toad eggs, wood frogs or eggs, please contact me. Email address
is in sig.

Thanks muchly,

Old 31-03-2007, 02:32 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

jan and I worked out an adoption program
from her pond to mine (two minutes by
car).
We cobbled together a fish bobber tied with
a length of thin rope. We set the bobber in
jan's pond with the rope hanging down into
the water. The tree frogs laid their eggs
along the string, jan netted it up and I transported
it to my frog bog.
Years later I have several generations out
in the backyard singing their little hearts out.

We learned that the tree frogs in our area do
not like to breed in ponds with larger fish but
are happy in fishless ponds or ponds with a
few small fish.

k :-)

Old 01-04-2007, 12:14 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

In .com, on 03/30/07
at 06:32 PM, "kthirtya" said:

jan and I worked out an adoption program
from her pond to mine (two minutes by
car).
We cobbled together a fish bobber tied with
a length of thin rope. We set the bobber in
jan's pond with the rope hanging down into
the water. The tree frogs laid their eggs
along the string, jan netted it up and I transported
it to my frog bog.
Years later I have several generations out
in the backyard singing their little hearts out.

We learned that the tree frogs in our area do
not like to breed in ponds with larger fish but
are happy in fishless ponds or ponds with a
few small fish.

That worked well, but it doesn't get toads here. And my painted
turtle is missing.

Old 01-04-2007, 03:09 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Someone said, I think it was on rec.ponds of
old, that turtles have no 'pet loyalty'. They go
on walk about and never return. Probably in
search of turtle love.

k :-)

Old 04-04-2007, 01:04 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

In . com, on 03/31/07
at 07:09 PM, "kthirtya" said:

Someone said, I think it was on rec.ponds of
old, that turtles have no 'pet loyalty'. They go
on walk about and never return. Probably in
search of turtle love.

It stayed for seven years. Now we have record cold (mid-20s overnight)
coming toward the end of the week, so I hope the dummy at least found its
way to the stream, so it doesn't freeze to death. I miss the sucker.

Old 04-04-2007, 02:59 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Seven years! wow, like a member of the family.
Hope it comes wandering back.

k :-)

Rate This Thread:

[IMG] code is On

Toads...and the #1 reason i like toads is..... jammer Ponds 2 29-04-2004 01:05 AM
Toads, toads, and more toads.... Szpond Ponds 18 20-06-2003 04:35 PM
Wanted to see tads turn to toads, dang it! jammer Ponds 9 15-06-2003 01:32 AM
Toads Pamcel United Kingdom 4 29-03-2003 12:44 PM
toads in MD [email protected] Ponds 8 11-03-2003 01:48 AM