Old 02-04-2007, 03:38 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default How do I fertilize lilies growing on cement?

Our lilies have jumped the pots and as THRIVING on the pond floor. In
fact, they do better there than in the pots. But they are not
flowering a whole lot. Any ideas about fertilizing them? Or
otherwise makeing them bloom?

Jim

Old 02-04-2007, 10:35 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Phyllis and Jim" wrote:

Our lilies have jumped the pots and as THRIVING on the pond floor. In
fact, they do better there than in the pots. But they are not
flowering a whole lot. Any ideas about fertilizing them? Or
otherwise makeing them bloom?

I had this problem. I had one water lily that in about 30 years had
taken over our entire pond which is about 15' x 45'. A couple years ago
in the fall I took the entire lily tuber out. I broke it into healthy
sections about 8" to 12" long with crowns. Much had to be thrown away
because it had soft spots. I then planted 12 pieces in pots and am
tending them to keep them in the pots. I will add the once-a-year
fertilizer spikes in May. They are doing very well in pots and are
blooming their heads off.
--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
18,000 gallon (17'x 47'x 2-4') lily pond garden in Zone 6

Old 03-04-2007, 04:28 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

They are doing very well in pots and are
blooming their heads off.

How did they do when they were on the loose? Lots of blooms to go
with the leaves?

I will be very interested in how they do with your fertilizer!

Jim

Old 03-04-2007, 07:09 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Phyllis and Jim" wrote in message
oups.com...
They are doing very well in pots and are
blooming their heads off.

How did they do when they were on the loose? Lots of blooms to go
with the leaves?

I will be very interested in how they do with your fertilizer!

Jim

I did a mini-experiment (read: too lazy
to repot a large hardy lily) a few weeks
ago. The potted lily in one of my above-
ground ponds was growing way out of
the container (a dishpan). I divided it
(don't ask how...), moved the pot with
about half the lily to another container,
left the free-floating (?) remains in the
pond in which it had been growing. Large
roots sticking out and about. So far it
continues to put out new leaves. Still a
bit cool for flowers.

I stuck one of those season-long fert
sticks in the midst of the mass of roots
which might work or might not.

IIRC the original hardy lily (now in
three different ponds) came from a local
nursery where it was just hanging around
a metal stocktank, not even potted.

I'm also a "minimalist" gardener - water
or soil. I'll report on what happens to my
mutilated water lily.

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8 USA

Old 03-04-2007, 04:06 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Hi Gail,

Nice to see you here.

I look forward to hearing about your result.

I was thinking about mine, it now covers about a 4 x 6 area. Might be
hard to fertilize that much!

I haven't approached it as it is entwining a bunch of milk crates that
used to hold up the lily dishpans.

Jim

Old 03-04-2007, 08:29 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Phyllis and Jim" wrote:

How did they do when they were on the loose? Lots of blooms to go
with the leaves?

They had fewer blooms when the tuber ran all over the pond than when I
just had 12 pots. I didn't fertilize the pots and I still got blooms.
This year will be the first time I fertilized since I just found the
once per year spikes.

I will be very interested in how they do with your fertilizer!

I am interested also. The spikes came in the mail yesterday, but I am
waiting until the pond warms up a little before I put the spikes in.
Our last killing frost date is May 15.

Old 03-04-2007, 08:29 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Mon, 2 Apr 2007 23:09:11 CST, "Gail Futoran"
wrote:

I'm also a "minimalist" gardener - water
or soil. I'll report on what happens to my
mutilated water lily.

I'm working real hard towards this type of gardening. ;-)

As in my big flower pots out by the front door, instead of the usual soil
and annuals, I put water in them and my iris that winter in the koi ponds.
When the cannas take their place in the koi ponds, the iris go in these
pots with a small floating island that holds plants that can handle soggy
soil. We have drippers set up to keep the water level up. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State

Old 04-04-2007, 01:05 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Phyllis and Jim wrote:
Our lilies have jumped the pots and as THRIVING on the pond floor. In
fact, they do better there than in the pots. But they are not
flowering a whole lot. Any ideas about fertilizing them? Or
otherwise makeing them bloom?

I run my tiny pond much like an aquarium. I fertilize the water with
the same mix of bulk potassium nitrate, potassium phosphate, potassium
sulfate, and hydroponic trace element/iron fertilizer that I use in the
indoor tanks. Phosphate in the water column makes the WH and canna
lilies bloom like crazy. I don't see why it wouldn't do the same for a
bare-root lily.

--Altum

--
My other fish and pond forum is:
http://groups.google.com/group/The-Freshwater-Aquarium

Old 04-04-2007, 10:28 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Tue, 3 Apr 2007 17:05:18 CST, Altum
wrote:

I run my tiny pond much like an aquarium. I fertilize the water with
the same mix of bulk potassium nitrate, potassium phosphate, potassium
sulfate, and hydroponic trace element/iron fertilizer that I use in the
indoor tanks. Phosphate in the water column makes the WH and canna
lilies bloom like crazy. I don't see why it wouldn't do the same for a
bare-root lily.

That's interesting.

It does sound suspiciously like it might contain the same stuff as a
numbered soluble fertilizer like 15-30-15, that I find at Walmart. I
don't know where these chemicals come from, or if they are in
combination with potassium but my understanding is they are simply
nitrates, phosphates and potassium.

What is the difference in using a mix of bulk potassium nitrate,
potassium phosphate, potassium sulfate? Sounds like potassium comes
with everything and I wonder why, and if it works better?

Regards,

Hal

Old 04-04-2007, 10:57 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

wrote:

I run my tiny pond much like an aquarium. I fertilize the water with
the same mix of bulk potassium nitrate, potassium phosphate, potassium
sulfate, and hydroponic trace element/iron fertilizer that I use in the
indoor tanks. Phosphate in the water column makes the WH and canna
lilies bloom like crazy. I don't see why it wouldn't do the same for a
bare-root lily.

That's interesting.

It does sound suspiciously like it might contain the same stuff as a
numbered soluble fertilizer like 15-30-15, that I find at Walmart. I
don't know where these chemicals come from, or if they are in
combination with potassium but my understanding is they are simply
nitrates, phosphates and potassium.

Some come with trace elements. I'm experimenting with Miracle-Grow and
products like it right now. It's not toxic to fish that I can see. The
5-10-5 for gardens works well in the water I grow pond plants in. It
doesn't seem to bother the frogs but has no trace elements listed on the
bags. I think I'll add MG next time and see if there's a difference.

What is the difference in using a mix of bulk potassium nitrate,
potassium phosphate, potassium sulfate? Sounds like potassium comes
with everything and I wonder why, and if it works better?

Regards,

Hal

--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.
rec.ponder since late 1996.
My Pond & Aquarium Pages:
http://tinyurl.com/9do58
Zone 6. Middle TN USA
ISP: Hughes.net
~~~~ }((((* ~~~ }{{{{(ö

Old 04-04-2007, 11:17 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

wrote:

I run my tiny pond much like an aquarium. I fertilize the water with
the same mix of bulk potassium nitrate, potassium phosphate, potassium
sulfate, and hydroponic trace element/iron fertilizer that I use in the
indoor tanks. Phosphate in the water column makes the WH and canna
lilies bloom like crazy. I don't see why it wouldn't do the same for a
bare-root lily.

That's interesting.

Yeah. I'm really into planted aquaria and someone here advised me to
treat my little pond/water garden the same way. Imagine my surprise the
first time I added my aquarium fertilizer with the phosphate and every
single WH bloomed!

It does sound suspiciously like it might contain the same stuff as a
numbered soluble fertilizer like 15-30-15, that I find at Walmart. I
don't know where these chemicals come from, or if they are in
combination with potassium but my understanding is they are simply
nitrates, phosphates and potassium.

The stuff at Walmart generally contains ammonium nitrate. The first
number in the N-P-K fertilizer ratio isn't nitrate, but nitrogen.
Ammonium nitrate is the most common source of it for fertilizer. You
can get away with burying a fertilizer spike with some ammonium nitrate
deep in a pot, but of course you wouldn't want to add ammonium to a pond
with fish. If you find a brand without any ammonium, I'm all ears!

What is the difference in using a mix of bulk potassium nitrate,
potassium phosphate, potassium sulfate? Sounds like potassium comes
with everything and I wonder why, and if it works better?

I use the bulk chemicals because 1) they're wonderfully cheap and 2) I
can tailor the mix to my individual tanks and pond depending on my water
change schedule and fish load.

The nitrate and phosphate have the potassium counterion (K, potash)
because aquatic and pond plants need a lot of it. Potassium is the K in
the N-P-K number. The chemicals are set up avoid adding undesirable
sodium and chloride to the water. Some people don't even need potassium
sulfate when they use potassium nitrate and potassium phosphate. I find
my plants do better with some extra potash so I add the potassium sulfate.

BTW, people in sof****er areas also add calcium and magnesium to the
fertilizer. My water is hard so I don't worry about it. I doubt it's
too much of a problem in most ponds since everyone tends to add coral
and/or oyster shells to harden the water a little for koi and goldies
anyway.

I saw mention of algae blooms with water column fertilizers. My 3
half-barrel pond has a LOT of plants and very few fish compared to a
typical formal koi pond - it's practically a veggie filter. LOL! If I
don't fertilize the water, the WH goes reddish, chlorotic, and straggly
and the algae grows like crazy. When I fertilize well, the WH gets lush
and green, the cannas bloom, and algae is much less troublesome.

I would expect a lot more algae bloom problems in systems with more fish
and fewer plants, since there are often traces of ammonia in the water
until it passes through the filter. Ammonia + iron + sunlight = instant
algae.

--Altum

Old 04-04-2007, 11:34 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

In article ,
Hal wrote:

What is the difference in using a mix of bulk potassium nitrate,
potassium phosphate, potassium sulfate? Sounds like potassium comes
with everything and I wonder why, and if it works better?

Also consider:

ammonium nitrate
ammonium phosphate
ammonium sulfate

Old 05-04-2007, 03:08 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Apr 2, 9:38 am, "Phyllis and Jim"
wrote:
Our lilies have jumped the pots and as THRIVING on thepondfloor. In
fact, they do better there than in the pots. But they are not
flowering a whole lot. Any ideas about fertilizing them? Or
otherwise makeing them bloom?

Jim

Jim now that your lilies are in the ground as they should be your
plants will not only thrive they should flower with no fertilizer at
all. You fish waste and the such is all the lily needs to stretch its
roots. In fact if you dont fertilize, it should break down the waste
quicker. Most lilies need sun light to bloom. also if you just
transplanted it may take a while longer or miss a cycle to bloom.

Peter
http://www.relaxingdecor.com

Old 05-04-2007, 03:27 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Stephen Henning wrote:
In article ,
Hal wrote:

What is the difference in using a mix of bulk potassium nitrate,
potassium phosphate, potassium sulfate? Sounds like potassium comes
with everything and I wonder why, and if it works better?

Also consider:

ammonium nitrate
ammonium phosphate
ammonium sulfate

Umm... I was talking about fertilizing water in a pond where there are
live fish. You don't add ammonium to the water.

Old 05-04-2007, 03:27 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

wrote:

[...]

i would say the time release capsules that you normally use for plants
like impatients and wild flower seeds works and fish ignore it.
Peter
http://www.relaxingdecor.com

Rate This Thread: