Old 02-04-2007, 10:56 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Large "spare" Koi........

What are you folks doing with large koi you can no longer keep? I'm finding
it difficult to find home for some of these fish no matter how pretty they
are. The stores mainly want them under 8". These are (body length) about 12
to 14". I will soon have about 5 needing a new home. Any suggestions?
--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 03-04-2007, 02:16 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Peter Pan" wrote in message
. ..
where are you located, maybe someone in here could take them off of your
hands

====================
I'm in the Nashville TN area. Between Murfreesboro and Nashville.
--
RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 03-04-2007, 06:07 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Apr 2, 4:56 pm, "Reel McKoi" wrote:
What are you folks doing with large koi you can no longer keep? I'm finding
it difficult to find home for some of these fish no matter how pretty they
are. The stores mainly want them under 8". These are (body length) about 12
to 14". I will soon have about 5 needing a new home. Any suggestions?
--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.
rec.ponder since late 1996.
My Pond & Aquarium Pages:http://tinyurl.com/9do58
Zone 6. Middle TN USA
ISP: Hughes.net
~~~~ }((((* ~~~ }{{{{(ö

How about something like Craigslist or Freecycle. Perhaps a
pondbuilder would know a good home.
Bill

Old 05-04-2007, 02:41 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Apr 2, 5:56 pm, "Reel McKoi" wrote:
What are you folks doing with largekoiyou can no longer keep? I'm finding
it difficult to find home for some of these fish no matter how pretty they
are. The stores mainly want them under 8". These are (body length) about 12
to 14". I will soon have about 5 needing a new home. Any suggestions?
--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.
rec.ponder since late 1996.
MyPond& Aquarium Pages:http://tinyurl.com/9do58
Zone 6. Middle TN USA
ISP: Hughes.net
~~~~ }((((* ~~~ }{{{{(ö

A local botanical garden might take them as a donation maybe even be
able to write off on your taxes as a donation. the main problem is
older fish do not sell the same not everyone would be able to afford
it for what the pet shop will ask for it. I know this may sound silly
but another suggestion is you could try and find a oriental restaurant
or spa that real nice ones has some kind of a pond that could house
maybe some of them.
Peter
http://www.relaxingdecor.com

Old 05-04-2007, 04:41 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
sig sig is offline

On Mon, 2 Apr 2007 15:56:41 CST Reel McKoi said
What are you folks doing with large koi you can no longer keep? I'm finding
it difficult to find home for some of these fish no matter how pretty they
are. The stores mainly want them under 8". These are (body length) about 12
to 14". I will soon have about 5 needing a new home. Any suggestions?

You might contact the Koi Club of Middle Tennessee http://www.kcmt.net/.

What we do in San Diego http://koiclubsandiego.org/ is hold an annual
auction. This year June 30 in Fallbrook.

Sig

--
http://koiclubsandiego.org/comment/?r=8

Old 05-04-2007, 07:29 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

wrote in message
oups.com...
A local botanical garden might take them as a donation maybe even be
able to write off on your taxes as a donation. the main problem is
older fish do not sell the same not everyone would be able to afford
it for what the pet shop will ask for it.

One shop told me there is almost no market for the larger koi. :-( No
botanical gardens here and the zoo don't take koi.

I know this may sound silly
but another suggestion is you could try and find a oriental restaurant
or spa that real nice ones has some kind of a pond that could house
maybe some of them.

No places like that where I live. One place in Opry Mills has a monster
tank but doesn't take GF or koi either. I'm feeling a bit pressured as I've
tried everything I can think of, but contacting the Pond Society. I suppose
that's my last hope.....
--
RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 05-04-2007, 07:30 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"sig" wrote in message
On Mon, 2 Apr 2007 15:56:41 CST Reel McKoi said
What are you folks doing with large koi you can no longer keep? I'm
finding
it difficult to find home for some of these fish no matter how pretty
they
are. The stores mainly want them under 8". These are (body length) about
12
to 14". I will soon have about 5 needing a new home. Any suggestions?

You might contact the Koi Club of Middle Tennessee http://www.kcmt.net/.

Thanks.....I tried to contact them, but when you click on EMAIL you get a
Google window to open an account. You don't get to mail someone at the Koi
Club. I don't understand why you're switched to Google when you click on
their EMAIL button...?!?!?!?!

What we do in San Diego http://koiclubsandiego.org/ is hold an annual
auction. This year June 30 in Fallbrook.

We have the Nashville Pond Society but dropped our membership long ago. I
got their phone number so think I'll call them tomorrow. I don't know if
they have auctions or what's going on with them now.
--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 05-04-2007, 05:32 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
sig sig is offline

On Thu, 5 Apr 2007 00:30:43 CST Reel McKoi said

You might contact the Koi Club of Middle Tennessee http://www.kcmt.net/.

Thanks.....I tried to contact them, but when you click on EMAIL you get a
Google window to open an account. You don't get to mail someone at the Koi
Club. I don't understand why you're switched to Google when you click on
their EMAIL button...?!?!?!?!

Odd. When I clicked on it, my email program offered to send email to
.

--
http://koiclubsandiego.org/comment/?r=8

Old 05-04-2007, 06:58 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"sig" wrote in message
On Thu, 5 Apr 2007 00:30:43 CST Reel McKoi said

You might contact the Koi Club of Middle Tennessee
http://www.kcmt.net/.

Thanks.....I tried to contact them, but when you click on EMAIL you get a
Google window to open an account. You don't get to mail someone at the
Koi
Club. I don't understand why you're switched to Google when you click
on
their EMAIL button...?!?!?!?!

Odd. When I clicked on it, my email program offered to send email to
.

===============================
Hey, thanks a lot! :-) I'm using Mozilla Firefox, perhaps that was the
problem. Sometimes when I click on an addy I get the Google window (to get
an account). I think I better update and run my 3 anti-spyware programs.

--
RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 05-04-2007, 08:21 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Thu, 5 Apr 2007 10:32:15 CST, sig wrote:

Odd. When I clicked on it, my email program offered to send email to
.

And that is an active e-mail for that pond club.

Members here have often sold their larger koi, getting good prices, by
taking out an ad in the paper. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 12-05-2007, 04:23 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

wrote:

What are you folks doing with large koi you can no longer keep? I'm finding
it difficult to find home for some of these fish no matter how pretty they
are. The stores mainly want them under 8". These are (body length) about 12
to 14". I will soon have about 5 needing a new home. Any suggestions?

I know I'm coming in late to this thread, but I live down south of
ATL, if we can figure a way to get them to me I'd love to have 'em in
my pond. I have a 1400 gallon, currently have 2 6-8" koi, a goldfish,
and a 6" shiner.

Mike Patterson
Please remove the spamtrap to email me.
"I always wanted to be somebody...I should have been more specific..." - Lily Tomlin

Old 12-05-2007, 05:01 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

wrote:

What are you folks doing with large koi you can no longer keep? I'm
finding
it difficult to find home for some of these fish no matter how pretty they
are. The stores mainly want them under 8". These are (body length) about
12
to 14". I will soon have about 5 needing a new home. Any suggestions?

I know I'm coming in late to this thread, but I live down south of
ATL, if we can figure a way to get them to me I'd love to have 'em in
my pond. I have a 1400 gallon, currently have 2 6-8" koi, a goldfish,
and a 6" shiner.

==============================
You're about 200 miles south of me. Do you like to drive? :-)))

I also have a lot of small 2" koi.
--
RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Rate This Thread:

[IMG] code is On

Spare seeds for anyone who wants them Mark Fawcett United Kingdom 4 07-05-2011 07:36 PM
Spare parts Jack United Kingdom 3 13-02-2004 01:42 AM
Had some spare time...lol spider Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 18-07-2003 10:12 AM
Had some spare time...lol spider Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 18-05-2003 09:56 PM
I don't suppose anybody can spare a couple of ... Lynda Thornton United Kingdom 0 27-02-2003 02:14 PM