Old 07-04-2007, 05:23 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default How to skim a wishing well pond

Hi folks, I am a long time usenet user and watched the unfortunate
demise on the pond group -- in my experience I think I have only seen
one other instance of that sort of constant barrage. So nice to have
a clean group.

Anyway, our pond, seen at www.marlia.com, has provided hours and hours
of quiet time. It also has provided a bunch of little gfs. What to
do? Dig another pond of course. So we dug a perfectly round hole
about 24 inches down with straight up and down sides and are putting
retaining wall bricks around it and up about 20 more inches. It's
diameter is 64 inches.

So, we will have a big round hole with its level 20 inches about the
ground level. I think I will put a bottom drain in it. But I am not
familiar with normal filtering of this kind of pond -- on our existing
one we use a skimmer and waterfall set-up. I don't know if there are
any floating skimmer or something like that to use on the water
surface and pump to an above ground pump or just what. So I figured,
hey, try out the new group. Any suggestions? Thanks, Kim.

Old 07-04-2007, 06:50 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"last426" wrote:
[...]

Hi, Kim.

I can't answer your question, but let me point out to you that copper is
toxic to fish. If it looks like a wishing well, visitors will throw money
in it! You might consider putting in a pullable basket with holes smaller
than dimes. Just my 2¢ (not thrown in your wishing well).

~Semper Fi~

Old 07-04-2007, 11:21 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Fri, 6 Apr 2007 22:23:06 CST, "last426" wrote:

Hi folks, I am a long time usenet user and watched the unfortunate
demise on the pond group -- in my experience I think I have only seen
one other instance of that sort of constant barrage. So nice to have
a clean group.

Anyway, our pond, seen at www.marlia.com, has provided hours and hours
of quiet time.

You have done some amazing landscaping and patio work! Very nice!

So, we will have a big round hole with its level 20 inches about the
ground level. I think I will put a bottom drain in it. But I am not
familiar with normal filtering of this kind of pond -- on our existing
one we use a skimmer and waterfall set-up. I don't know if there are
any floating skimmer or something like that to use on the water
surface and pump to an above ground pump or just what. So I figured,
hey, try out the new group. Any suggestions? Thanks, Kim.

Check out my website (below sig.), click on My Filter, Demon Pond Filter
and Lily Pond. My Filter gives you the configuration of the barrels. An out
of water pump would go in a box rather than into a 4th barrel. Also instead
of going over the top, you'd go thru the liner. That leads to clicking on
the Lily Pond, scroll down, where you'll see the plumbing under the liner
(how the plumbing was done at the Demon Pond). The Demon Pond Filter page
shows the parts we used, though the pages in the AES catalog are no longer
accurate, I hope the parts # are. The Demon Pond Photo page shows the
inside of the filter without media.

I plan to put a 2 barrel system on my lily pond soon. ~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Rate This Thread:

[IMG] code is On

Well well! mark United Kingdom 6 11-03-2009 11:51 PM
Well well! Gordon H[_3_] United Kingdom 0 11-03-2009 10:23 PM
From those wishing to reclaim our rights to post on our fish andpond groups without disruption or games Gill Passman Ponds 0 18-02-2007 09:11 PM
Summer Wishing Starlord Garden Photos 14 17-01-2007 07:09 PM
Wishing well pond claude rogers Ponds 6 08-08-2003 01:18 AM