Old 10-04-2007, 02:44 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Anti-Frog People Strike Again

On Mon, 9 Apr 2007 08:11:59 CST, Altum wrote:

That sucks. Out of curiosity, what happens if you can't catch all the
frogs? It's nice to have good relationships with neighbors, but it
sounds like they're asking for something that's almost impossible.

It really does "suck" as frogs have been a big focus in my ponding life.
How I got these neighbors, of all people, next to us is beyond me, but oh
well. I can't move, and the city backs them. As far as catching the frogs,
luckily it is a formal pond, so I can manage it at night they don't see me
coming and aren't scared of the flashlight. So I net them right off the
surface.

These people are just lucky we're not ornery cause next backyard party of
theirs my DH could gas up his big old chipper vac. beg ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 10-04-2007, 03:38 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"~ jan" wrote in message
These people are just lucky we're not ornery cause next backyard party of
theirs my DH could gas up his big old chipper vac. beg ~ jan

Better still, file a noise complaint. They're disturbing the quiet enjoyment
of your frogs.

Old 10-04-2007, 04:11 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

In article ,
~ jan wrote:

On Sun, 8 Apr 2007 18:41:36 CST, Kurt wrote:

Reminds me of an upscale area next to State Park out here in Ventura
County. Ranger told me that one wealthy idiot who lives in big bux home
has been raising hell with Park Service to get owls removed from park
because they keep him up at night.

AhMazing! I hope the Ranger laughed. ~ jan

She had a good attitude about it, but you know it bothers her.
Another story about the same park (Located in Thousand Oaks) When I was
hiking around there last Summer, I remarked to the same ranger about the
abundance of water in the waterfalls and stream despite it being middle
of Summer. Water was fairly stinky in standing water areas.

"Yes, all that water comes from lawn and car wash runoff. We spend a lot
of time trying to keep the area kids out of the water."

Old 10-04-2007, 05:28 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Mon, 9 Apr 2007 08:12:10 CST, "drsolo" wrote:

you need to make the case for those frogs holding down the mosquito and fly
populations. they are fighting West Nile Virus, etc. Ingrid

Oh, I have a story about that:

Surprise at My Ponds (6/27/2006)

Tuesday morning I stepped out to get the paper to see 2 guys in blue shirts
walking off my property with a mosquito dipper in their hands. "WHAT THE
H*LL?" I think as I note their truck is parked 3 houses up. "WHAT THE
H*LL?" I think again. I was just a tad ticked.

Now... many of you will remember my troubles with neighbors who don't
appreciate nature, in particular tree frogs mating.

To see why they had been on my property without even a courtesy knock, I
headed up to where their truck was parked. They see me coming, and it's
like, "Oops, we're caught." So they walk back towards me. I ask, "So you
guys don't come knock when you come on private property?"

"Well, ah, we were just checking the area and noticed your pond and took a
quick check." To which I said there was no way they could have "noticed"
from the street. So I told them what I thought, that they got a complaint
and rather than come talk to me, thinking they were avoiding a
confrontation, they got one anyway. Had they come knocked I would have
showed them the whole yard and that there are more water holding
receptacles on my property than my lily pond to be worried about. Of course
they're all safe, between fish, taddies, or Bt. That's when the one guy
mentioned it was a yellow tub, one I set up to quarantine a T.lily, that
got their attention. The yellow tub can only be seen if you walk right up
to the fence, so much for "just noticed it." I think what they did was use
the dipper over the fence, BECAUSE the gate is LOCKED. Who'd of thought I'd
be keeping out ADULTS!!!!

Needless to say, they didn't find anything! (Now that would have been
embarrassing!)

When I came inside I was still upset, and I had yet to remember my yard
being locked, so I was wondering where else had these guys put their little
"who knows where it has been" dipper?

So I decided to call the Mosquito District and talk to the Manager. I
discussed the situation with him, and he told me they should have knocked.
He also said they had gotten a complaint in the area, so they were checking
the whole neighborhood. I mentioned the situation with my neighbor (I wish
I would have added if there are more mosquitos in the neighborhood it is
because I had to remove 37 frogs!). He said that my address didn't stick
out as one being on the list. I also mentioned the dipper and that *I
assumed* they didn't sterilize that between tests? He knew right away I was
concerned about cross contamination. So the yellow tub is being drained (no
T.lily yet) and sun dried. He did say that they weren't suppose to use that
in a residential area, just observe. So shame on them, 2 counts!

I guess I'll have to add that to my neighborhood frog letter next year, how
I keep the mosquito larva controlled around here. I'm even being so careful
as to put dunks in my filter barrels this year. I don't think the water
moves enough, the surface looks way too calm for my comfort. After all, I
don't want to be bit either!

The manager asked how I would rate the mosquitoes this season, and I said
they haven't been bad at all this year. Both DH & I have been bit once so
far, the boys not at all. I usually put tons of spray or lotion on, and I
haven't even been doing that. I've used some, but I tend to have to get bit
a couple of times before I'm real good about it.
-----
That was the story I sent out to local pond people last year. I wouldn't
put it pass these people to complaint about the water falling from the
filter to the pond next. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 10-04-2007, 05:48 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

~ jan wrote:
[...]

Edit it down and send it to "Letters to the Editor" at your local
newspapers, too! Mosquito larvae are good frog food, as you observed. ;-)

~Semper Fi~

Old 10-04-2007, 07:08 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Mon, 9 Apr 2007 08:12:42 CST, "drsolo" wrote:

I think some people are miserable and like to spread their
misery around. Ingrid

We've sure seen that the last couple of years, both in our backyards and
usenet. :-( ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 10-04-2007, 07:09 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Mon, 9 Apr 2007 09:35:32 CST, "G Pearce"
wrote:

I find it really hard to believe you net all your frogs and relocate them on
an ongoing basis just to appease your snooty neighbours. Have you asked the
police or wildlife people if you have any rights in this regard , or has
this already been visited by you or your 'neighbour'.

Yes, before ever talking to us, even anomalously they went straight to the
city attorney and I got "the letter" regarding my "pets". I called the city
attorney's office and they laughed. Said that the complaint was a first.
Unfortunately the letter, detailing fines,etc. was nothing, imo, to laugh
at. At the time I thought it was new neighbors across the way, but it is
now obvious who has the problem. If I don't do something about it, I could
be fined and even told to fill in the pond as it could be considered as
harboring a nuisance animal. If I was an activist I could probably take
this all public and make a laughing stock out of my neighbors, but one
never knows.... and I'm not willing to risk it.

As far as keeping the peace with them, I doubt that's possible. After they get their way on this,
they will be bolder with the next complaint.

We've already removed a tree for them, it was dropping little olives on
their truck, even though he has a huge driveway and could have parked it
elsewhere. Then 2-3 months later he sold it! Now a gosh-ugly trailer,
always filled with junk is parked in the same location. :-( I'm half
tempted to replant another tree.

BTW - Didn't your son or sons have a band at one time - how did the
neighbour deal with that??

Naaa, that was Kathy's. But if I win the lottery, I may sell cheap to the
right LARGE MUSICALLY INCLINED family, must have LOTS of teenagers with
noisy cars, etc. In the meantime, we do have one nasty noisy macho chipper
we could start up. DH has a BIG maple to take down, so it should be running
lots this spring/summer. beg About the time they complain about that, to
my husband, well that should be interesting indeed. Since the tree & frogs
were my soft spot. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 10-04-2007, 07:09 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Mon, 9 Apr 2007 09:36:00 CST, "Reel McKoi"
wrote:

I'm wondering how Jan's neighbors tolerate the cicadas, birds and crickets
of summer?!?!?!

We don't have cicadas, so he lucked out there. If only we had them and they
came at the same time as frogs so they drown each other out..... They
probably put poison out for the crickets as they CAN be as loud as the
frogs. About the time they tell me to hush the crickets, I may have to use
some foul language I've learned here on usenet. ;-) ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 10-04-2007, 07:10 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Anti-Frog People Strike Again (going OT)

On Mon, 9 Apr 2007 12:14:13 CST, "G Pearce"
wrote:

Anywho - You did a very good job of pre-emptive damage control (probably a
little late for Jan)
Gale :~)

Yea, it is a little hard to sound proof an outdoor pond. Trust me, if I
could, I would. ;-) ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 10-04-2007, 03:28 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

I am interested that wild frogs are considered your pets...in eco
friendly WA no less. They are wild animals that come and go at their
own initiative. It is hard for a city to ban wild animals. I guess,
however, that your pond is an attractant. I infer from your post that
the city attorney laughed but said the ordinance could in fact be
implemented against you. Bummer. Our toads would surely be the
problem here, if someone were to complain. The tree frogs are
peaceful compared to 'crickets on speed'.

Jim

Old 10-04-2007, 05:37 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Apr 8, 7:43 pm, ~ jan wrote:
As some of you know, I have neighbors that don't like my frogs.

This spring I've been vigilant about keeping the population down to no more
than 2-3 frogs before I go out and catch them. These neighbors have been
gone most of spring break and knowing they would return today I caught all
but 1 last night. During the night at least 1 or 2 joined it, which I'll
catch tonight. Unfortunately my compromise isn't working. One of the frogs
decided to croak during the day and I got "the complaint" e-mail. I was
sent:

"Once again the noise level is such that it
is affecting my ability to sleep at night and to relax
during the day and evening."

And they HAVEN'T EVEN BEEN THERE!!! And only ONE frog was croaking!!! Not a
whole chorus. And that is SO abnormal for them to croak during the day
anyway.

Needless to say, I no longer find the joy in my frogs thanks to these
sh*tty neighbors, so I guess it will be no more frogs for me, if I can
prevent them. :-( ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds:www.jjspond.us

They are being absolutely unreasonable. Buy them some kind of 'PM' and
tell them to grow up. A sound machine in their bedroom could give
them the sound THEY want to hear. Your ponds and frogs are part of
your 'life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness', and they need to
get real.
We all have noise to put up with. I have teens and a father with noisy
pickup trucks and cars, and only God knows who is going where at all
hours of the night and dark early mornings. Another neighbor works on
boats and runs them dry or with a hose and they make a horrible
racket, and the latest across the street is a new neighbor who owns a
cleanup business and has 4 or 5 trucks parked all over his front lawn
and comes and goes at weird hours. But I have never said a word to any
of them and will not.
Serously, these people are being whiners and thinking the world
revolves around them. You can't be expected to keep the frogs out of
your ponds, and you have the right to enjoy them. I've never been one
to complain about the neighbors or cause fights with them, but I truly
feel these people are out of line with their whiney emails.

Just my opinion.
Nan

Old 11-04-2007, 02:13 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

I have asthma. I keep the windows closed and run the air conditioner most
nights even if I open the windows during the day. I dont hear ANYTHING with
my windows closed (my house is 120+ yo). however, the ones who complain
about noise are the ones who want to keep their windows open all night
either because they are too cheap to run the AC or they dont like AC. what
may prove useful is some Eau de'skunk sprayed periodically to encourage them
to close their windows at night. Ingrid

We all have noise to put up with.

Old 11-04-2007, 04:33 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Mon, 9 Apr 2007 14:24:02 CST, Marco Schwarz
wrote:

Hmm.., is this possibly a question of so called "Good
neighbourhood"..?

Or does it have any *legal* background relating to your
*special* location (or situation)..?

Hi Marco, If I didn't answer your questions in my other posts, ask again.
As I'm not quite sure what you're asking. ~ jan :-)
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 11-04-2007, 04:52 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 07:28:33 CST, "Phyllis and Jim"
wrote:

I am interested that wild frogs are considered your pets...in eco
friendly WA no less. They are wild animals that come and go at their
own initiative. It is hard for a city to ban wild animals. I guess,
however, that your pond is an attractant. I infer from your post that
the city attorney laughed but said the ordinance could in fact be
implemented against you. Bummer. Our toads would surely be the
problem here, if someone were to complain. The tree frogs are
peaceful compared to 'crickets on speed'.Jim

Yes, the city would implement, though she said that since the frogs were
seasonal, but the time they got to the point of even thinking of a fine,
the problem would be gone. Another thing I'm not willing to risk.

As of today I've put the small short sided stock tank down by the koi ponds
on the other side of my house and plan to turn one of the male loose there,
hoping he'll stay and not travel back up to the lily pond. I'll also put
eggs in it to start a group that will hopefully returned there. I just
can't be happy without frogs in my yard. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 11-04-2007, 04:53 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 09:37:48 CST, "Olde Hippee" wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the "meeting of the minds", Nan. I fully agree. In fact, I'm
thinking I need to save some of these posts and C&P them to the neighbors
if I have any more trouble with them. eg

Ingrid: Regarding the skunks.... LOL! Only problem, we'd suffer also. ~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Rate This Thread: