Old 09-04-2007, 12:43 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Anti-Frog People Strike Again

As some of you know, I have neighbors that don't like my frogs.

This spring I've been vigilant about keeping the population down to no more
than 2-3 frogs before I go out and catch them. These neighbors have been
gone most of spring break and knowing they would return today I caught all
but 1 last night. During the night at least 1 or 2 joined it, which I'll
catch tonight. Unfortunately my compromise isn't working. One of the frogs
decided to croak during the day and I got "the complaint" e-mail. I was
sent:

"Once again the noise level is such that it
is affecting my ability to sleep at night and to relax
during the day and evening."

And they HAVEN'T EVEN BEEN THERE!!! And only ONE frog was croaking!!! Not a
whole chorus. And that is SO abnormal for them to croak during the day
anyway.

Needless to say, I no longer find the joy in my frogs thanks to these
sh*tty neighbors, so I guess it will be no more frogs for me, if I can
prevent them. :-( ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 09-04-2007, 01:41 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

In article ,
~ jan wrote:

[...]

Reminds me of an upscale area next to State Park out here in Ventura
County. Ranger told me that one wealthy idiot who lives in big bux home
has been raising hell with Park Service to get owls removed from park
because they keep him up at night.

Old 09-04-2007, 02:39 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Wildlife can be so darned annoying!

At least owls, in the US, are protected.
First thing, when jan's neighbors piped up,
I tried to find out if our native frogs
were endangered. They aren't. rats!

Today DH took the labradors hiking on
a sage brushy open area and came home
early. Too warm, too windy? No, he came
across his second rattlesnake and decided
that he, and the dogs, were pushing their
luck.

k :-)

Old 09-04-2007, 03:30 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Kurt wrote:

Reminds me of an upscale area next to State Park out here in Ventura
County. Ranger told me that one wealthy idiot who lives in big bux home
has been raising hell with Park Service to get owls removed from park
because they keep him up at night.

So many idiots, so little ammunition...

I _can_ understand how owls could be annoying. Every year except last year
we've had Saw-whet owls. Saw-whets emit a 1/2 second "G" about every 1 or
2 seconds (like katydids, frequency seems to be related to temperature).
They could get on your nerves, I guess, but last year I didn't hear a
single one, and I miss them.
--
derek
- Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself, not rec.ponds.moderated

Old 09-04-2007, 04:45 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

In article .com,
"kthirtya" wrote:

Wildlife can be so darned annoying!

At least owls, in the US, are protected.
First thing, when jan's neighbors piped up,
I tried to find out if our native frogs
were endangered. They aren't. rats!

Today DH took the labradors hiking on
a sage brushy open area and came home
early. Too warm, too windy? No, he came
across his second rattlesnake and decided
that he, and the dogs, were pushing their
luck.

k :-)

Just the thought that many people expect urban environment in a rural
settings is annoying enough, but money talks in so many places.

Old 09-04-2007, 05:27 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Sun, 8 Apr 2007 18:41:36 CST, Kurt wrote:

Reminds me of an upscale area next to State Park out here in Ventura
County. Ranger told me that one wealthy idiot who lives in big bux home
has been raising hell with Park Service to get owls removed from park
because they keep him up at night.

AhMazing! I hope the Ranger laughed. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 09-04-2007, 03:11 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

~ jan wrote:
[...]

That sucks. Out of curiosity, what happens if you can't catch all the
frogs? It's nice to have good relationships with neighbors, but it
sounds like they're asking for something that's almost impossible.

--
My other fish and pond forum is:
http://groups.google.com/group/The-Freshwater-Aquarium

Old 09-04-2007, 03:12 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

you need to make the case for those frogs holding down the mosquito and fly
populations. they are fighting West Nile Virus, etc. Ingrid

Old 09-04-2007, 03:12 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

I used to net Saw-Whets in fall at the field station (for banding). They
are the cutest little owls on earth. They had to pat met down before I left
to make sure I wasnt trying to smuggle one home.

well some people pay bocu bucks for their "nature sound" machine so they can
get to sleep. I think some people are miserable and like to spread their
misery around. Ingrid

Old 09-04-2007, 03:13 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Apr 8, 11:27 pm, ~ jan wrote:
On Sun, 8 Apr 2007 18:41:36 CST, Kurt wrote:
Reminds me of an upscale area next to State Park out here in Ventura
County. Ranger told me that one wealthy idiot who lives in big bux home
has been raising hell with Park Service to get owls removed from park
because they keep him up at night.

AhMazing! I hope the Ranger laughed. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds:www.jjspond.us

Too bad about the neighbors.

Our pond was just warming up at night when this cold front came it.
Our Fowler's toads are doing their calling thing! Crickets on speed.
Once they get going, we are talking 5-20 at a time...just outside the
bedroom. It is sort of like a train...you get used to it. Too bad
your neighbors haven't.

Jim

Old 09-04-2007, 04:35 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

[...]

I find it really hard to believe you net all your frogs and relocate them on
an ongoing basis just to appease your snooty neighbours. Have you asked the
police or wildlife people if you have any rights in this regard , or has
this already been visited by you or your 'neighbour'. As far as keeping the
peace with them, I doubt that's possible. After they get their way on this,
they will be bolder with the next complaint
BTW - Didn't your son or sons have a band at one time - how did the
neighbour deal with that??
Gale :~)

Old 09-04-2007, 04:36 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Phyllis and Jim" wrote in message
ups.com...
Our pond was just warming up at night when this cold front came it.
Our Fowler's toads are doing their calling thing! Crickets on speed.
Once they get going, we are talking 5-20 at a time...just outside the
bedroom. It is sort of like a train...you get used to it. Too bad
your neighbors haven't.

===================
I'm wondering how Jan's neighbors tolerate the cicadas, birds and crickets
of summer?!?!?! Spring and summer are the time of life and life isn't
silent. How sad they can't just enjoy the sounds of nature. If I had
neighbors like that I'd be in deep trouble because we can't get rid of the
bullfrogs. For every one I haul off to the lake another shows up to take his
place. The only reason I remove them is they eat the smaller koi and
goldfish. The rest of the toads and froggies out there are music to my ears
(as long as they're not under my bedroom window.)
--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 09-04-2007, 06:46 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

That was me, Gale, that hosted a band for
three years. My neighbors are all saintly, they
have no problem with tree frogs, renegade
bullfrogs and hordes of teenagers.
We did soundproof the familyroom windows
and that helped a lot. We also handed out
free cds from the boys and when the newspaper
came to interview them we praised our neighbors
in print. The band is scattered to colleges from
NY to Arizona now and we miss them. But we don't
miss the noise!

k :-)

Old 09-04-2007, 07:14 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Anti-Frog People Strike Again (going OT)

That was me, Gale, that hosted a band for
three years. My neighbors are all saintly, they
have no problem with tree frogs, renegade
bullfrogs and hordes of teenagers.
We did soundproof the familyroom windows
and that helped a lot. We also handed out
free cds from the boys and when the newspaper
came to interview them we praised our neighbors
in print. The band is scattered to colleges from
NY to Arizona now and we miss them. But we don't
miss the noise!

I must be losing it - I thought one of Jan's sons was in a band - I knew you
talked about it and assumed it was the same band
Anywho - You did a very good job of pre-emptive damage control (probably a
little late for Jan)
Gale :~)

Old 09-04-2007, 09:24 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Hi Jan..

Hmm.., is this possibly a question of so called "Good
neighbourhood"..?

Or does it have any *legal* background relating to your
*special* location (or situation)..?
--
cu
Marco